Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Process

Options
  • 30-07-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

So I went for my Interview with the local super. All went well bar my day in jail for non payment of a fine which i simply could not afford to pay.....anyway!

I find it strange that they do not process your background before you go for the first interview. I have passed the first stage and sent in a stack of BR forms and then sat another interview only to be then told i may be rejected!

Even still i must then wait 6+ months for a final answer.

Could I not have been told this before the first interview?? Say i get my medical letter and pass that then wait 6+ months to be told I've been rejected to to my less day a day in prison.

Could they not save themselves time and money by first seeing if a day in prison for a fine is not going to affect my application then send me for interviews etc

Does the recruitmemt process need to be re-structured 6 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 6 votes

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

As tough as this is to hear Jack there is no way that an applicant will be accepted if you have a criminal record .Have come across serving members who have been in trouble as youths and were placed in the Youth Diversion Program when they were under 18 years of age.
    It does seem a shame given your circumstances but once its on PULSE as a conviction and a prison sentence its a no go.
    Could they not save themselves time and money by first seeing if a day in prison for a fine is not going to affect my application then send me for interviews etc[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Raider190 wrote: »
    As tough as this is to hear Jack there is no way that an applicant will be accepted if you have a criminal record .Have come across serving members who have been in trouble as youths and were placed in the Youth Diversion Program when they were under 18 years of age.
    It does seem a shame given your circumstances but once its on PULSE as a conviction and a prison sentence its a no go.
    Could they not save themselves time and money by first seeing if a day in prison for a fine is not going to affect my application then send me for interviews etc
    [/QUOTE]

So you can be in as much trouble as you want as long as your not imprisoned or convicted of an offense? I reckon KwackerJack has a fair enough chance of getting in.

Think of the thousands of people who are in debt and have been imprisoned for not paying fines, plus according to the news a huge number of Garda are now struggling financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

I wasn't given a prison sentence for the offence!

I was given the sentence as i did not pay the fine handed down and done approximately 5 hours in Castlerea in lieu of the unpaid fine!

I really think it silly that I may not be allowed into the Gardaí because i could not afford a fine. It's not like i committed and actual intentional crime!

The actual offence i was told was not a problem but the day in prison may be! Can a few hours in prison for being on the breadline really destroy my hope of becoming a member of the Gardai!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 navanlad

im now 17, and it is my burning ambition to join the Gardaí,

I intend in studying Law and joining the reserves to have a better chance of getting in,

I know garda reserves only recruit at 18, so is there a waiting list I can put my name down on or do I have to wait until im actuall 18.

i will be 18 in july next year, so for example, if there were to start training in august next year I could have applied and be able to train them.

All reply's appreciated±!!

navanlad wrote: »
    im now 17, and it is my burning ambition to join the Gardaí,

I intend in studying Law and joining the reserves to have a better chance of getting in,

I know garda reserves only recruit at 18, so is there a waiting list I can put my name down on or do I have to wait until im actuall 18.

i will be 18 in july next year, so for example, if there were to start training in august next year I could have applied and be able to train them.

All reply's appreciated±!!

You can apply at 18 but expect to be waiting year + before you even get accepted!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

You can apply at 18 but expect to be waiting year + before you even get accepted!

The waiting time can vary. For myself it was 18 months from time of application to getting an offer to commence training . The BR checks take the longest depending on how many are in your extended family and if any of them reside abroad.

I was abroad at 14/16 years of age and my fiancée's aunt is living abroad now also so that may take awhile.

But with my day in prison im wondering if there is any point in them even doing the family checks??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Raider190 wrote: »
    The waiting time can vary. For myself it was 18 months from time of application to getting an offer to commence training . The BR checks take the longest depending on how many are in your extended family and if any of them reside abroad.

That was a reasonable enough time mate,

Here is my story,

I applied back in December,2012
    Interview and Report in Feb,2013
    Met the Super in March,2013
    BackGround Cks April,2013

I m waiting for a medical at the moment,
    I expect a long wait as I have a huge family with an uncle in OZ,
    Have been keeping fit in the mean time,

Im hoping for a medical sometime late 2014-Early 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Benotafraid

Start training on the 5th of this month :) anyone else heading down then? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭oreilly94

In my area they are going to have interviews for garda reserve this September but all the slots are full so I'd have to wait till next year .. Do u think I would have a chance getting an interview If I go in and ask the local garda station, as in since the super interviews the people would I be best talking to him to see if he will interview an extra person

• Advertisement

oreilly94 wrote: »
    In my area they are going to have interviews for garda reserve this September but all the slots are full so I'd have to wait till next year .. Do u think I would have a chance getting an interview If I go in and ask the local garda station, as in since the super interviews the people would I be best talking to him to see if he will interview an extra person

I live in Westmeath and i took my first interview in Louth. Call them and see if there is a different location you could attend

Oh never mind I just called up there and they said my name is actually on the list and ill be getting a letter sent out ! :)

So I went for my Interview with the local super. All went well bar my day in jail for non payment of a fine which i simply could not afford to pay.....anyway!

I find it strange that they do not process your background before you go for the first interview. I have passed the first stage and sent in a stack of BR forms and then sat another interview only to be then told i may be rejected!

Even still i must then wait 6+ months for a final answer.

Could I not have been told this before the first interview?? Say i get my medical letter and pass that then wait 6+ months to be told I've been rejected to to my less day a day in prison.

Is the interview and writing stage hard to get past ? What do they make you write ?

oreilly94 wrote: »
    Is the interview and writing stage hard to get past ? What do they make you write ?

Interview is your general background and reason why you want to join. Also times in your life when you helped people etc. And community envolvment.

My written test was a scene in cartoon form and to basically write what i seen without to much writing but still stating the important/relevant facts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Any1 no anythin about educational exemptions ? its maths for me not failed but a grade lower ,

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

I was told in the interview that there are a good few in the reserve with no exams. Life skills are very important

thesamster wrote: »
    I was told in the interview that there are a good few in the reserve with no exams. Life skills are very important

you have to have a leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

The super told me my pilots licence and 10 years in the defence forces was more than good enough for reserve garda

I thought you had to have a leaving cert no matter what life experience you have?

carzony wrote: »
    I thought you had to have a leaving cert no matter what life experience you have?

No...you can get an exemption by the Super if he is happy enough that your life experience will be an asset to the reserve's.

Plenty of people with college/university education that would make useless Guards!

Street smart ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys :) i have a good LC apart from maths , but i am goin to be re sitting it anyway , im only 20 not much life exp just yet but the gards is somthing i want as a career so i hope thats stands to me aswell .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If I was to apply tomorrow what kind of time scale would I be looking at to get all the way through the process

If I was to apply tomorrow what kind of time scale would I be looking at to get all the way through the process

could be 2 years..

Took me 6 months to get interview, if u pass that 6-9 months on background checks , over all i agree with carzony, i hope to be training in july maybe next year that will be a 1 year and 6 months then , theres alot in my family, and 3 unkown were abouts :P my backgrounds will 100% be 6+ months .

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Took me 6 months to get interview, if u pass that 6-9 months on background checks , over all i agree with carzony, i hope to be training in july maybe next year that will be a 1 year and 6 months then , theres alot in my family, and 3 unkown were abouts :P my backgrounds will 100% be 6+ months .

I have 12 on my fathers side and 3 on my mothers :o:o Be ten years waiting for that :p:p

haha thats so weird , its same for me 11 on dads and 4 on my mams , i havent even sent it yet will be goin this week. a long long wait :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Do they just ask for relations or what way does that work

Do they just ask for relations or what way does that work

Parents, Siblings, Aunts, Uncles

Same for your partners side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94

I don't meet irish im 19 and am awaiting a meeting with the super along with my br to clear. I have however a certificate in emergency first aid and a diploma in policing studies, would you reckon Ill be accepted by the super would this be more favourable than irish

• Advertisement

Your just guna have to wait and see , but im sure your guna be fine , :D

Advertisement