Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Simul with Chess Grandmaster Simon Williams

Options
  • 30-07-2013 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Challenge the Chess Grandmaster Simon Williams this Sunday (Aug 4) at the Rumbullion Rum festival in the Twisted Pepper.

If you think you're up to the challenge - sign up here .

Simul takes place between 4-7pm.... full details of the event can be found here. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bigtoe7

GM simon williams also known as ( ginger GM) must have dropped out as his name is replaced with CCIM jonathan oconnor according to ICU website
    http://icu.ie/events/list.php?type=irish

the title of CCIM stands for ( correspondence chess international master ) is a JOKE !.basically you play with other players from long distance , games can last weeks or months and either via server , email or fax you let your opponent know what is your move , meanwhile you are allowed to consult books or a chess database or sometimes even a chess engine before you decide your move!.

many jokes are happening in irish chess ,here are 3 examples :
    some one who comes 15th in a competition claims to have won both silver and bronze medals in that competition
    http://www.eycc2012.eu/results-pairings/girls-12/round-9

some one who is the irish chess champion and supposed to be a role model and encourage children to play chess creates a website with amazing disclaimer banning kids from it
    http://www.irishchesscogitations.com/

how long it takes ICU to respond to incidence in cork .

please correct me if i have made a mistake in my examples as i am not perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

bigtoe7 wrote: »
    some one who comes 15th in a competition claims to have won both silver and bronze medals in that competition
    http://www.eycc2012.eu/results-pairings/girls-12/round-9

please correct me if i have made a mistake in my examples as i am not perfect

It would help if you even had the right event. You're looking for the European Union Youth Championships. Here, let me be of assistance..

2011 - U-14 Girls Bronze:
    http://www.chess-results.com/tnr53700.aspx?art=1&rd=9&lan=0&flag=30&wi=821
    2012 - U-12 Girls Silver:
    http://www.chess-results.com/tnr77320.aspx?lan=1

It would help if you even had the right event. You're looking for the European Union Youth Championships. Here, let me be of assistance..

2011 - U-14 Girls Bronze:
    http://www.chess-results.com/tnr53700.aspx?art=1&rd=9&lan=0&flag=30&wi=821
    2012 - U-12 Girls Silver:
    http://www.chess-results.com/tnr77320.aspx?lan=1

thanks boy , you are brilliant ! eu and european union youth competition sound similar and confusing . i have looked at the links you have provided and coming 12th out of 38 don't make it silver and 20 out of 38 don't make it bronze . as i said she is a lovely girl and i also have great respect for her father , but when a child's rating goes down over 200 points from 1770 in last september to 1551 currently, the alarm bells should be ringing . i believe she is fatigued and playing too many tournaments and needs a 1-2 months complete break from chess and then train in slow and steady manner to build better foundation and then enter foreign competition when hopefully she becomes much stronger, but if she keeps entering tournaments left , right centre ,she will burn herself out and if you add in the stress of travelling and financial pressure of this hobby which will add additional stress and lack of progress she may snap in near future and quit chess for good .diana is a minor and i don't want to keep discussing her .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

diana is a minor and i don't want to keep discussing her .
    A good move, certainly if you're discussing people in international competitions you're going to have to name names. But lets try and keep the topic about the player groups rather than focusing unduly on particular underage players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

how long it takes ICU to respond to incidence in cork .
    The ICU have responded to the incident in Cork. On the facebook, it was pointed out that there was another major factor delaying the investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

cdeb wrote: »
    The ICU have responded to the incident in Cork. On the facebook, it was pointed out that there was another major factor delaying the investigation.
    Have they though? There's rumours running all over the Irish chess sites (not to mention serious amounts of defamation of both the people involved and the people in the ICU - honest question, how the hell have half the people posting on or running these sites avoided being sued to within an inch of their lives?); but I've not seen anything official from the ICU other than the initial statement regarding the establishment of the committees who'll give the official response and a request that the two people involved refrain from competing (which apparently hasn't been honoured).

The ICU have established disciplinary committees in accordance with its constitution; they certainly have responded to the incidents.

They are waiting on the committees to report back now. Shane Lee posted this on the Irish Chess facebook a couple of weeks ago -

"Word has it that one of the sub committees has already delivered its finding but that the ICU are waiting until the second committee (on use of force on a minor) concludes to release both together. The unfinished committee is apparently unfinished because the accused has refused to cooperate with the investigation. This second committee has, contrary to reports of a minor scuffle in the papers at the time, more than just the alleged occurance of the incident to consider but also alleged injury sustained."

Shane was on the ICU committee up to last autumn and would be better placed than most to comment, I'd imagine.

If that's the case, the delay is not as a result of the ICU failing to respond.

The ICU have established disciplinary committees in accordance with its constitution; they certainly have responded to the incidents.
    Ah, right, I didn't understand you - I thought you meant that they'd responded as in posting an official statement or something.
    Shane Lee posted this on the Irish Chess facebook a couple of weeks ago -
    But that's basicly just a rumour, right?
    I mean, if I had a euro for every time I've heard stuff that started with "Word has it" or an equivalent and continued with something that was wrong, well, I wouldn't be too worried about the economy :D

And some of the stuff that was said after that post and on other threads and in other places... yeah, I wouldn't take any of that stuff seriously, it was all pretty devoid of understanding of what the law requires and permits of people in cases like this or even of what "fair" means -- and I couldn't even finish reading half the posts that were claiming to talk about the technical aspects of how you'd tell if someone had been cheating or how you'd prevent it, they were so bad.

Me, I'll wait for the ICU's official report and then I'll print this out and keep it to hand while I read that report:

keep-calm-its-only-a-game.png

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

They are waiting on the committees to report back now. Shane Lee posted this on the Irish Chess facebook a couple of weeks ago -

"Word has it that one of the sub committees has already delivered its finding but that the ICU are waiting until the second committee (on use of force on a minor) concludes to release both together. The unfinished committee is apparently unfinished because the accused has refused to cooperate with the investigation. This second committee has, contrary to reports of a minor scuffle in the papers at the time, more than just the alleged occurance of the incident to consider but also alleged injury sustained."

Shane was on the ICU committee up to last autumn and would be better placed than most to comment, I'd imagine.

If that's the case, the delay is not as a result of the ICU failing to respond.

I don't see why the ICU would find it necessary to release both together. The result of one committee should have no bearing on the result of the other.

It could; if one committee has found that something happened, and the other committee only suspect the same thing, then the second committee could be swayed into thinking that the person they're investigating is lying.

@ Sparks - yes, it has to be classed as a rumour, but it's the only thing I can see anywhere on the investigation, and if true, it contradicts bigtoe's point that the ICU are joke because of the delay.

Oh, and also, I'd be fairly sure Diana's rating fluctuates a lot in part because she plays a lot of international junior tournaments. In my experience, foreign players tend to be over-rated compared to Irish ratings, so beating a 1600 in Ireland is the same as beating a 1700 in Spain, say, but you get more rating points for the latter. I don't think the rest of your post is of any relevance to this forum, to be honest (why would you bring up something you don't think should be discussed?)

• Advertisement

it contradicts bigtoe's point that the ICU are joke because of the delay.
    Well, to be blunt, common sense and basic legal knowledge (of the "you're not allowed do this" kind rather than the bar exam kind) did that all on their own.

Oh noes, a group who legally are a private club with no legal protection or insurance are taking their time before making a public announcement on whether or not one person committed an act of assault and whether or not another cheated in an amateur sport - one of the more textbook examples in defamation law - and deciding what sanctions they will face...

You'd be forgiven for thinking the Irish Chess Union was the Gardai, the Dail, the Seanad and the Avengers all rolled into one, given half the stuff that people seem to be expecting them to do :D

@erykahbee . did you go to this event ? any results ? it was advertised that any one who beats the chess master in the simultaneous exhibition will get free rum for the night , considering the gentleman playing was a few hundred points short of a real grandmaster it was a very brave & risky rum gambit to make by the venue (twisted pepper) .

speaking of rum gambit in my last post if you mix rum with rice you can get a pudding .rum gambit of course does not exist but rice gambit does ! towards the end of 19th century and beginning of 20th century if you wanted to make some money in chess you would enter a rice gambit tournament( where boards were set at gambit position when you started ) . it is a variation of king gambit and heavily promoted by a german businessman isaac rice ( eventually named after him ) who was obsessed with this opening and spent a fortune on it . chess masters around the world would enter these tournament to make some money or were paid to analyze the position. vanity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_Gambit

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ErykahBee

Bigtoe7, there is no grace in being a dick. Nobody appreciates an arsehole who trolls the heady heights of chess threads.

But yes, fun was had and we had one winner.

Dont worry, It was probably too much joviality for your bitter soul.

@ erykahbee .oh my you seem to have issues , perhaps if you went outdoors and spent a few hours in the glorious sunshine today it would have cheered you up .you started this thread by asking people to sign up & pay and falsley claiming they will play exhibition match against grand master simon williams and i alerted the chess community ( perhaps that's why you are angry ) that they will be facing a different player whom is rated alot lower and not a gm . and all i did was have abit of fun with the title of ccim ( chess correspondence international master ) which any 10 year old with a computer can get . my statements were true and not abusive and opposite to yours. i am reporting your post to the moderator and hopefully potty mouth person like yourself and your posts go into the rubbish bin where they belong.

falsley claiming they will play exhibition match against grand master simon williams and i alerted the chess community

meh.ro3692.jpg
    the title of ccim ( chess correspondence international master ) which any 10 year old with a computer can get

wrong_facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Well when Jonathan was playing correspondence chess it had nothing to do with computers and I can assure you no 10 year old would have been capable of getting the title. Nowadays correspondence chess is a bit of a joke but before computers many GM's played correspondence chess. I may be wrong but I think Ulf Anderson was a top GM in both variants.

Jonathan is also in the top 30 or so players in Ireland in over the board play along with being the chairman of the ICU so I would have thought he would be the best person to get since the mix up with Simon Williams given that it could have potentially been a opportunity to promote and market chess in Ireland.

i reported the abusive post 2 days ago twice and the post is still here .guess moderators here are like cops , they are there when you don't want them to be there and never there when you need them . where is rev hellfire dude ? i was looking forward to play against GM simon williams , he was here last year and played in blitz championship competition and was playing against the best this country had to offer and beat every one with perfect score of 11 out of 11 which is very hard to do in a blitz competition .

here is a great video of blitz game between anand and grandmaster ivanchuk in a blitz , ivanchuk has mate in one queen takes rook on h1 checkmate game over and doesn't see it ! painful to watch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzvtdcx9YiM

if some one sees the moderator could you please ask him/her to remove the 4 sticky topics at top of this forum it says topic is hot beside them , hot as ice cream if you ask me? also can we have a bit of colour here it looks gray and boring here

also can we have a bit of colour here it looks gray and boring here
    Click on "Quick Links" up in the top right of the page, then click on "Edit Options" in the menu that will appear; then scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see a dropdown box marked "Forum skin". Pick a different colour scheme there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

i reported the abusive post 2 days ago twice and the post is still here .guess moderators here are like cops , they are there when you don't want them to be there and never there when you need them . where is rev hellfire dude ?

Where indeed, your reported post was acted upon at the time, removal in my view was not warrented.

But if you feel you're not been treated appropiately then use the Dispute Resolution procedure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Zugszwang

Bigtoe, completely agreed, advertising a simul with a strong GM like Simon Williams and then announcing that he's being replaced with a non-GM, not even an IM, is disappointing. There must be at least 50 players in Dublin who'd have great chances in a simul against a 2200, that could have cost a lot of rum. Fair dues to Jonathan for taking up the challenge though.
    P.S. I'm amazed name-calling is allowed here as well!

@ zugzewang . be careful of what you say here ! i received an official warning after reporting the abusive e-mail ! .

Advertisement