Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother of murdered student Nicola Furlong robbed by scumbags while visiting graveside

Options
  • 30-07-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nicolas-mum-pleads-for-stolen-handbag-29457993.html

And absolutely appalling crime to a lady who has suffered more than her share already.

In this life or the next, I hope the scum who stole the handbag get what is coming to them. What further depths can people sink to than stealing from grieving families and friends at graveyards? :mad:

Wouldn't you just love a few minutes alone with one of these scumbags, and a crowbar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nicolas-mum-pleads-for-stolen-handbag-29457993.html

And absolutely appalling crime to a lady who has suffered more than her share already.

In this life or the next, I hope the scum who stole the handbag get what is coming to them. What further depths can people sink to than stealing from grieving families and friends at graveyards? :mad:

Wouldn't you just love a few minutes alone with one of these scumbags, and a crowbar

its almost common place lately, loads of graveyards in Cork have Cars broken into when people are visiting their loved ones, multiple garda and local media warnings.

another scumbag trend is they are watching the death notices in papers to get addresses waiting until a few weeks later and breaking into homes where they know pensioners are living alone now.

a man i know had this happen to him but luckily all her jewellery...etc had already been given out to friends and family and he had no money in the house so they only trashed the place, it would have been worse if they got her wedding ring...etc

absolute scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

And the worst thing is, that's such a rural spot that its probably someone she would know to see at least.
    A few belts of an iron bar might knock a bit of sense into them alright.

**** sake......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Foxhound38 wrote: »

What an absolute piece of shít that thief is. Robbing anyone is bad enough, but someone visiting a grave - that's beyond low.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Its awful, it's always the vulnerable who suffer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

very much doubt it was locals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

My friend's family own a pub and they were broken into during a relative's funeral.

There really are no depths to which some people will stoop. They just don't care. They are the lowest of the low- but so long as our justice system shows no deterrent for committing these crimes, things won't change.

Absolutely sickening- how these people sleep at night I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Absolutely awful.

This happened to my aunt shortly after she lost her husband a few years ago. She visited his grave (S. Dublin), leaving her car unlocked (silly, but the car was v. closeby).
    She didn't see anyone, but she did remember seeing a guy cutting the grass (who was not there when she returned to the car), so she figured he may have done it.
    Unfortunately, there was a lot of money in her purse (about 2000) because she had intended paying for something that day (I think related to the service).

It's just so disgusting that someone would take advantage of a grieving person like that, preying on people who are visiting a GRAVE. It's almost hard to believe that people can be so relentlessly selfish and cold-hearted.

I feel for Nicola's mother, she has gone through more than most of us could imagine, and although the thief hardly knew who she was (not that it matters, really), it just seems horrible that she has had to endure so much, and now this.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Only time our house has been burgled was the day of my Grannies funeral. Obviously watching the death notices. Thankfully they missed/ignored her jewellery.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very common with graveyards. Car parks in tourist spots another. The checking the death notices is an old one going on for years. Even as a kid back in the 70's I remember that come funeral time someone was always detailed to stay in the deceased house. Utter scum, but as long as the courts let these human skidmarks off all the time little will change.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rocket19 wrote: »
    It's just so disgusting that someone would take advantage of a grieving person like that, preying on people who are visiting a GRAVE. It's almost hard to believe that people can be so relentlessly selfish and cold-hearted.
    That's because you're not a scumbag. Having met a few in my life you do notice that with your "pure" scum almost to a man/woman they're gibbering morons, deeply sub par on the intelligence front and emotions are very much basic stimulus response type stuff.

I say pure scum as some who exhibit scummy behaviour do so because of background where it's seen as OK, or because they've fallen into addiction. They can vary and there's some hope for them if treated/educated, but for the pure scum I'd be happy with sterilising the lot of them, to try and winnow out the failed genes involved.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

very much doubt it was locals

You'd be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That's absolute scumbaggery. It'd be worth making sure someone stays in the house of a relative who passed away while the funeral is on just in case if this is becoming more commonplace.

It has been common for a very long while K. No way would I leave a home unattended for a funeral. I'd also leave someone with the cars at the graveyard too. Ditto for weddings and christenings too. Anywhere where the scum know people are going to be distracted and away for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

absolutely disgraceful, they have no respect, feelings for what people are going through during these sad times in their lives.

And as one of the previous posts said, they do go through death notices etc to see if peoples homes may be vacant etc. These people are scum of the earth, what goes around comes around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

People in Wexford were warned not to leave personal belongings on car seat in car parks as it happens allot these days and it's known to be travellers aswell that do it as the have be spotted quite a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Local rural settled criminals who rob their own neighbours are the worst of the worst. With the expansion of council estates even into the smallest of towns/villages means all sorts come in and suddenly the place is awash with drugs. Then robberies to fund drug habits.

While the traditional targets are always blamed (travellers, Eastern European gangs, Romany gypsies), the biggest threat is often ignored: the local undesirables who know your every move. When an area is under the grip of a crime spree where there is a burglary nearly every night as is happening in many places at present, then you know you have a local sbag living amongst you.

Advertisement