Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 World Cup

Options
  • 30-07-2013 8:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭

World Cup draw for 2015 cup in Australia/New Zealand

Pool A England, Australia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, New Zealand, two qualifiers

Pool B South Africa, India, Pakistan, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland, qualifier

Fairly horrible group draw for Ireland, Pool A definitely looks easier to qualify from on paper.

Round robin games, then top 4 from each group go through to quarter finals. They are hoping to play games in Christchurch again, which would be great for NZ cricket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Fixtures

http://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-world-cup/fixtures

Match 5 Windies v Ireland 16 Feb Nelson
    Match 16 Ireland v Qualifier 4 25 Feb Brisbane
    Match 24 South Africa v Ireland 3 March Canberra
    Match 30 Zimbabwae v Ireland 7 March Hobart
    Match 34 India v Ireland 10 March Hamilton
    Match 42 Pakistan v Ireland 15 March Adelaide

Think all bar 2 of Irelands games are the only games that day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

World Cup draw for 2015 cup in Australia/New Zealand

Pool A England, Australia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, New Zealand, two qualifiers

Pool B South Africa, India, Pakistan, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland, qualifier

Fairly horrible group draw for Ireland, Pool A definitely looks easier to qualify from on paper.

Round robin games, then top 4 from each group go through to quarter finals. They are hoping to play games in Christchurch again, which would be great for NZ cricket.

That's a bit weird, Eng/Aus/SL/NZ were drawn together in the same group in the Champions Trophy as were SA/Ind/Pak/WI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

World cup just goes on for far too long, strange they don't try and play at least a couple of group games every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Zim, Windies, Pak and Qualifier are all beatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Top 4 go into quarter finals - SA, India, Pakistan and Ireland. We should beat qualifier, Zim and Indies so not all doom and gloom, especially Ind and Pak are far from their home patch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I wouldn't agree that we have a good chance against the West Indies, they are the kind of team that enjoys bullying the associate teams, I'd say we have more of a chance against Pakistan especially if they have an off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

No way I'd be chalking the Windies down as a "should win"!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No way I'd be chalking the Windies down as a "should win"!.

Nope, but they are "beatable".

Especially at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

If Bangladesh had amassed a mere 5 extra world ranking points we'd be looking at a group with qualifer, Zimbabwae and Bangladesh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Not exactly friendly fixtures for fans hoping to travel to watch their team play all their games! Had hoped we'd be based mostly in NZ, even if we had two consecutive games in NZ it would make for a nicer holiday.

Reckon I'll have to stick with just Oz and miss both the NZ based games, sickener.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't agree that we have a good chance against the West Indies, they are the kind of team that enjoys bullying the associate teams, I'd say we have more of a chance against Pakistan especially if they have an off day.

It's the first match and if we can hit the found running then we have every chance.

Playing Pak in the last game with one or both needing to win does not bode well for an upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

I'd actually see playing Pakistan last as a benefit. When you play Pakistan one of two teams show up. You may get 'boom boom' Afridi knocking sixes and fours about the place and the likes of ul Haq and Khan making your batters lives misery. Or (if its too cold/a dead rubber/bookies have money on it) you get a very much beatable Pakistan, as we saw in Dublin recently.

Let's be honest, Ireland will need to win at least 3 matches which is a near impossible task. The other associate qualifier and Zim will be must wins and, if they beat them, Pakistan could well be the match that get Ireland into the quarters.

Of course beating the Windies in the first match would change everything, but I wouldn't count on it.

Rascasse wrote: »
    Of course beating the Windies in the first match would change everything, but I wouldn't count on it.

But it would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

HonalD wrote: »
    But it would be nice!

They are due another loss at our hands.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

West Indies would be very tough opposition and do much better at the one day format..

Maybe an SA choke is too much to hope for - the other group looks pretty difficult with Sri Lanka and New Zealand, top four in that group would be pretty impenetrable..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

dfx- wrote: »
    West Indies would be very tough opposition and do much better at the one day format..

Maybe an SA choke is too much to hope for - the other group looks pretty difficult with Sri Lanka and New Zealand, top four in that group would be pretty impenetrable..

South Africa only choke in knock out stages!

West Indies ODI form is rubbish to be fair, really good 20/20 team and an improving test team but in the fifties over stuff,very average as their recent results will prove. Whitewashed by Aus, an also beaten by Bangladesh and Pakistan.We have a glimmer against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jonny_Darcy

Very difficult task for Ireland - as someone pointed out they really need to target the Windies game. Then hopefully follow that up with a win against qualifier. If (big if!) they can win 2/2 they have a great chance

Advertisement