Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tile?

Options
  • 29-07-2013 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I found a tile and I am looking for an age,

Can anyone here help?

Pics:-

264779.jpg

264780.jpg

264781.jpg

Could be 30 years old, could be 500 years old. Help appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Il go first cf
    Judgeing by size
    Colour and the lettering ..18thc /1740s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Hey mate,

Any idea where it would have been made?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Hey mate,

Any idea where it would have been made?

No clue cf..i might even revise my wild guess up a century or so...any background to help?

Hey Maudi,

The tile was found on a heap used to stay a wire fence, in the vicinity or a medi-evil church which dates back at least 500 years (1 gravestone states as 1535).

Any other opinions / advice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kicking Bird

Any other opinions / advice?

To be honest cfuser,I think it looks rather modern looking(20th. Century).Just looking at the fabric,it doesn't look like a fired clay and looks more like cast concrete.

I could be completely wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Hi CF,

Your tile has me as intrigued as it has you, I've done a little searching around and from what I've been reading it would appear that your tile is from the era of mass production.

Prior to 1840 tiles were produced from wet clay and then fired, this lead to variation in the colour and also a warping of the tile.

Your tile seems to be pretty uniform in colour front and back, it also does not to have even the slightest degree of warping.

The development of the technique of compacting damp clay dust in a press lead to a boom in tile manufacture from about 1850 onwards.

I'd suggest that your tile with the pressed back and pressed makers mark is from after 1850, probably closer to the later part of the century when more and more manufacturers were mass producing tiles.

Pure speculation time, I'd imagine there were factories in Ireland producing tiles like this so lets say its an indigenous Irish tile from 1850 -1890.

If we could find any information on the makers marks for clay tiles you'd be able to narrow it down further.

Advertisement