Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astronomy study at the OU

Options
  • 29-07-2013 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

People who want to study astronomy/astrophysics may be interested to know that you can study it all the way up to degree level (as well as certs/diplomas)at the Open University by distance learning. It's possible to do it from Ireland and to take exams in OU centres Ireland. I can vouch for it being a great resource, but unfortunately since recent funding cuts the courses have become very expensive, and it takes a hefty financial commitment to get a degree.

Anyway, just thought I would mention it. If anyone is interested, please also consider signing this petition to ask the OU to run a Master's degree program in astronomy/astrophysics:

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/the-open-university-construct-a-mphys-msc-astrophysics-astronomy-degree-scheme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sorry to hijack, but your post reminded me of...

https://www.coursera.org/courses?search=Astronomy

For those with an interest in studying semi-formally, but without the time/energy/resources, coursera are running some free classes online. Perfect for those cloudy nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭ps200306

No problem hijacking, just sign the petition. :D

I did a short Coursera maths course in their first season to check them out ... it was quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ps200306 wrote: »
    No problem hijacking, just sign the petition. :D

Dun diddly done!

I didly done did it too, didnt I do?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Done :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

ps200306 wrote: »
    a Master's degree program in astronomy/astrophysics:

We don't know how the Universe began and we never will.

Now can I have my degree :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭ps200306

We don't know how the Universe began and we never will.

Now can I have my degree :pac:

Nah, the degree is so you can say exactly the same thing in fancy language e.g.
    "The known laws of physics break down at the Big Bang singularity but we assume that some as yet unknown exotic processes operate in the Planck epoch. Although we cannot probe the Planck scale directly with current technology, we may be able to fix that with some shiny new toys and a ginormous dollop of funding."

:p

Advertisement