Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's stealing all the wheels?

Options
  • 29-07-2013 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I just walked out the back of my apparently secure apartment to see my my bike minus its two wheels.

Furious, and I'll follow up with the Management company tomorrow & Garda (there is CCTV for what its worth).

Now, the wheels are not worth much (70s wienmann with blue schwalbe 700c), but walking around Dublin city I see a huge amount of bike that have had wheels, saddles, breaks taken off them.

I genuinely think that there has been an increase in parts been stolen in the past year, but where are they going? I don't see many stolen bikes for sale.

Anyway, I needed to vent some. Really. Pissed. Off.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Everything can be sold..even if its not for much money..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

sign of the times,a thief can spot a few euro's anywhere,there quite a resourceful bunch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If you locked your frame to a pole and someone else locked their back wheel to a pole, they can take your wheels and put them on the other guys frame, giving them a brand new bike.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If you locked your frame to a pole and someone else locked their back wheel to a pole, they can take your wheels and put them on the other guys frame, giving them a brand new bike.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fellow traveller

The wheels would probably sell for €30 max on some corner or more likely an unscrupulous bike shop, the depressing thing is I'll have to spend close to a €100 for a wheelset and gears.

I like the frame but at the end of it all I'll have spend more on it than the bike is worth (i've done a few other bits and pieces to it along the way). Also I can't leave my bike outside anymore, the flat is becoming a bike shed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

May I ask why you didn't lock your wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Locking skewers, kryptonite New Yorker . Remove saddle and lights. Standard procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fellow traveller

It's meant to be a secure car park. While the frame was locked I couldn't get either wheel secured to the stand by just using one lock.

These were not a pair of Zipps. To be honest, I (foolishly) thought that if you couldn't rob the whole bike you wouldn't waste your time a crap set of wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rooster_86

my bike was stolen today from harcourt road (top of harcourt street) opposite the bagel factory. the security company has them on cctv and apparently a squad car saw them running off with it and they were arrested. i came out of work this evening with just the front wheel attached (should have locked the frame i know) and was told this by the security guard. Gardai showed up and took my details, apparently the chance of gettin it back is 6% according to the statistics.

Advertisement