Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hinge question

Options
  • 29-07-2013 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hello,

From what I can see screw holes in hinges are slightly larger
    than the diameter of the screws that come with the hinge.
    Was wondering what is the reason for that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

zarafiq wrote: »
    Hello,

I don't know if there is a reason other than it makes it easier to drive the screw into the door frame. Also when you pilot drill the screws you need to centre the hole and then the head of the screw ends up centred in the holes in the hinge

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Hello,

The diameter is usually wider as the fixing comes about when the head of the screw engages in full with the hinge. If it is a good fit and sits into the hinge flush then it is as good an engagement the screw and hinge will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The bevel in the screw head matches the countersink in the hinge flange. More secure. Also tidier looking when the screws sit flush. If, as was mentioned, they've been centred properly.

If I read your question right?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭zarafiq

Hi endacl,

1.en.jpg

I agree that the beveled part matches the screw ok, what surprises me is the larger than expected difference between
    "hole diameter" and "body diameter" dimensions on the hinges I've seen.

Is it common to drive the screw at slight angle (that would explain a larger hole to permit that)?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hi endacl,

1.en.jpg

I agree that the beveled part matches the screw ok, what surprises me is the larger than expected difference between
    "hole diameter" and "body diameter" dimensions on the hinges I've seen.

Is it common to drive the screw at slight angle (that would explain a larger hole to permit that)?
    I honestly don't have an answer...

Thanks, by the way. Now I'm wondering about something I'd never wondered about before...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would say its to allow for slight adjustment of the hinge if its not perfectly square.

Advertisement