Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of non-alcoholic drinks.

Options
  • 29-07-2013 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Like many of you, I don't have a problem going to the pub or a club.
    The drunk people dont put me off so much, but the prices of soft-drinks do.

My understanding is that most alcohol in pubs is almost a loss leader, and it's the mixers that they make a lot of profit on. What can be done about this?
    Is this issue just a lost cause, a quirk of modern capitalism?

Is there a way, or a place to go out that I wont feel scammed by?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

You're not the only one who feels like this. I hate paying €2.70 for a diet coke! Sure in Tesco at the moment I think you can buy 2 x 2Litre bottles of diet coke for €3.50.
    I understand you are paying for the atmosphere and wages etc but it does seem like a very high mark up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Sobaldalsauch

I usually stick to cordial as its cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

So what do you order? Tap water and dash or cordial or something?

I'm getting very bored with Diet Coke, looking for something less unhealthy and a bit less sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

There are some reasonable non-alcohol beers on the market, Erdinger and Paulaner are two in particular I would recommend as very drinkable. They cost the same as regular beer however which is a pain in the ass. I assume they attract less excise duty than alcohol-beer so it's pure profiteering on the part of the publican (same applies in off-licenses....)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Erdinger non alcoholic in my local is around €4 so not bad. I'd say now I drink non alcoholic 90% of the time now as I don't like hangovers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

This. You'll pay anything up to 2 euro for a pint of it, though I've gotten it for free in a few places and would probably pay around 1 euro for it in most bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

I like a Red Bull when out. I find you don't slug it like a Club Orange or whatever but in what way is it justifiable to charge €4 for such a small bottle? Worse still, being asked to pay that for a can of "I-can't-believe-it's-not-Red-Bull" .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I paid more for a pint of coke mid week than my mates beers! :o

I usually drink cordial and have been charged everything from free to 3 quid, actually had a barman in TP Smiths in town give out to me "for fcuk sakes would you not just order a pint?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

3 euro for a cordial :eek:

Name and shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Odats wrote: »
    Erdinger non alcoholic I'd say now I drink non alcoholic 90% of the time now as I don't like hangovers.

Interesting, I'm hearing this more and more these days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

For the life of me, I can't remember, somewhere in the city centre, one of the girls, her father owns a bar down the country, was disgusted, said that the bottle of cordial would have cost a fraction of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

€4.50 for a Red Bull on Friday in Danby Lodge Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sodalicious

Ah its ridiculous. Ill get to the point where ill be carrying my own bottle of lucozade out with me soon! Im spending as much out as anybody who drinks, one advantage though is that i can carry my car home afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This really annoys me, at least in my local they are using cans, so I can now buy a can of Rock shandy rather than being charged double as is the case in almost all pubs. Why do bars also stock the small bottles and not cans? I hate those bottles, especially the pub size lucozade one.

Maybe we can name and shame the bars/clubs that are over charging for soft drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I usually drink sparkling water and lime cordial when I'm out. Was charged €4.20 in a Dublin hotel for one last weekend! He said it was 3.20 for the water and 1.00 for the drop of cordial! Madness!

Advertisement