Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bios/ battery power problem

Options
  • 29-07-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I bought a Toshiba laptop last November and it's been acting funny on me since I bought it. I thought the problem was the bios originally but I don't think it's that. The battery keeps showing up as not detected.. I bought a brand new battery and charger for the laptop and it's still showing the battery as not detected, for one minute I got the battery to show up as there but when I removed the mains power the laptop died. I have also reset the laptop to factory setting to no avail. I am at a loss here and it's really annoying me since I've forked out about 70 euro on the new charger and battery after buying this laptop for 600 quid. Anybody got any ideas? I've tried all the basics. Turning the laptop off and on again, tired turning it on without the battery in it then restarting and putting the battery in, when I try to start it up with the battery in it doesn't start up, I start up off the main power and then when I put the battery in its not detected, I remove the power plug then an it dies automatically. It's a new battery and I'm very lost here. I was starting to think I blew a fuse or something but I don't know what to do the laptop is under warranty but I don't fancy having to send it off if not necessary, however I'm beginning to believe I got a faulty laptop off the line so am considering sending it off to the manufaturer for repair. However if it can be fixed easily that would help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

Ok so forgetting about the battery for a sec,, will the laptop run, with the battery removed and just plugged into the mains?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭900913

Sounds like your bios battery could need replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Domob6

@ Steinberg: Yeah the laptop works just off the mains but \i want it to work off the battery power on it's own too. Since I just ordered a new battery and charger for 70 euros.

@900913- I don't think it's a bios problem but it might be... it is acting like it's the wrong bios... somebody updated my bios a while back and I dont think he knew what he was doing with it

So if it is a bios problem what's the simplest way I can fix it... I would need a walk-through in the simplest definition of the problem and how to fix it since I'm not exactly very technically minded... any ideas would be more than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

try cleaning the connectors for the battery on the laptop itself,,,, Alternitivly

Remove the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and allow Windows to scan your computer for hardware
    and reinstall the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. The notebook should then indicate that the battery is charging.

In Windows 8, hold the Windows key and press the 'x' key to open a menu in the lower-left, then select Device Manager. In Windows 7 or Windows Vista, click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager.
    Expand the Batteries category.
    Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .
    WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
    On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes.
    Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes.

Advertisement