Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table Tennis Table

Options
  • 29-07-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

My kids are looking for a ping pong table (table tennis) & these things are not cheap. So I want to build one instead.

I have been looking around the Net looking for ideas and one guy built his using Baltic Birch Ply. Is this available in Ireland?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAnaRlbZjs0

Can anyone recommend anything else for the table top?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Dummy wrote: »
    My kids are looking for a ping pong table (table tennis) & these things are not cheap. So I want to build one instead.

I have been looking around the Net looking for ideas and one guy built his using Baltic Birch Ply. Is this available in Ireland?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAnaRlbZjs0

Can anyone recommend anything else for the table top?

;) I wouldn't bother with plywood - MDF is always going to give a better finish and is available everywhere. I'd imagine a sheet of 1/2" MDF would give stability - assuming a table tennis table is no bigger than 8'x 4' ? The trick is to get that nice matt green finish found on manufactured tables. You will need to find some one to spray it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thanks Recipio,

A table is 9' * 5', but I am going to have it folding into 2 halves with a piano hinge similar to the video. Is it possible to get larger than 8' * 4' boards from a could get a 4.5' * 5' board?

Thanks Recipio,

A table is 9' * 5', but I am going to have it folding into 2 halves with a piano hinge similar to the video. Is it possible to get larger than 8' * 4' boards from a could get a 4.5' * 5' board?

Yes, I've read about larger than standard MDF but I think you will have to do a search for it.
    Have you considered Phenolic coated plywood.? Again its a rare species but should be available and would avoid the need to paint. Of course it all comes down to filthy lucre.

recipio wrote: »
    Yes, I've read about larger than standard MDF but I think you will have to do a search for it.
    Have you considered Phenolic coated plywood.? Again its a rare species but should be available and would avoid the need to paint. Of course it all comes down to filthy lucre.

No, I have not heard of this plywood. I'll get a chance on Saturday to go to the suppliers to see what they have. I have a feeling though it will be MDF, and the table will be a foot shorter than the regulation table, but ......

You have given me some idea of what to look for - thank you.

Rgds,

D.

No, I have not heard of this plywood. I'll get a chance on Saturday to go to the suppliers to see what they have. I have a feeling though it will be MDF, and the table will be a foot shorter than the regulation table, but ......

You have given me some idea of what to look for - thank you.

Rgds,

D.

A foot shorter ! - please don't do it - they never seem long enough to me.!
    Phenolic plywood is used in the construction industry to make concrete moulds. The ply is coated with a rock hard finish and comes in various colours.
    As there's no way you can turn 8 x 4 sheets easily into 9 x 5 you will have to source larger sheets. An emulsion paint can be rolled on to MDF and will give acceptable results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Biscuit join the MDF and keep the joint near the net. Should be OK.

That is good sound advice. Thank you both. It would bug me too if the table was a foot shorter.

I'll be at the suppliers on Saturday morning to see what they have.

Biscuit joining the MDF does make sense & I would have a regulation size table.

Rgds,

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

recipio wrote: »
    ;) I wouldn't bother with plywood - MDF is always going to give a better finish and is available everywhere.

I would bother with Birch plywood, execellet material and finishes as well as the effort you put into it.

Available in 5' x 5' moisture resistant sheets, avaialable from 'woodworkers' in Dublin 6.

http://www.woodworkers.ie/sheet_materials/plywood_sheets/99/56/

A couple of coats of exterior lacquer or varnish and you have an indoor or outdoor toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

That's a a handy size at 5' x 5'.

You can get plain MDF in 2,440 x 1,830 in Woodworkers
    http://www.woodworkers.ie/prices/p_sheet_mdf.shtml

That's 18mm thick though and the table would be heavy. You'd get a complete half table from each panel though and avoid joins in the table,... I think that'd be much better than having a join.

I'd have thought 12mm melamine panels would be a little better than MDF for bouncability of the ball but they don't seem to have them in the larger size you'd need listed on the website. It should be possible to get melamine panels in 3,050 x 1,830 (10' x 6'), but probably 18mm thick also.

This doesn't look too expensive to me. .. but probably un-shippable.
    http://www.table-tennis-tables.co.uk/shop/indoor-tables/butterfly-indoor-table-tennis-tables/butterfly-table-tennis-top-only-721988.html

I would bother with Birch plywood, execellet material and finishes as well as the effort you put into it.

Available in 5' x 5' moisture resistant sheets, avaialable from 'woodworkers' in Dublin 6.

;) I bought 'Baltic ply' once in 5x5 and it had horrible knots and a rough finish so that put me off.
    Realistically the OP will need a light foldaway table so that rules out anything over 12mm - although a biscuit join will work if done neatly and sanded flush.
    I believe professional tables need a matt paint finish as that gives the ball more of a 'bite' when it bounces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Baltic birch is usually graded, I can only speak for the higher quality, which is graded for furniture use, ordinarily there are no knots, these are replaced by patches and number of patches is a consideration of the grade.

Ironically, my brother-in-law has asked me to replace the top on their table, as it got knocked over and damaged in the wind last June. So, we'll be using Birch ply. Won't be doing it until early September, but will post a picture of the result when done.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

That's good to know, thanks

Advertisement