Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught drink driving

Options
  • 29-07-2013 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I done a really stupid thing Sat night and was caught drink driving. It was after a club and I tried to ring a cab to get to a friends house about 10 min drive, there were no cabs available so I got in the car.

A police car pulled me in about 5 mins later and asked me to go with them to police station after I admitted I was after drink. I done a breathaliser test and it read .85 on the printout and was told to get a solicitor.

My query is does anyone know of anyone who had similar issue and what might be the likely outcome? It was my first offence and I have a full licence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

frosty84 wrote: »
    I done a really stupid thing Sat night and was caught drink driving. It was after a club and I tried to ring a cab to get to a friends house about 10 min drive, there were no cabs available so I got in the car.

A police car pulled me in about 5 mins later and asked me to go with them to police station after I admitted I was after drink. I done a breathaliser test and it read .85 on the printout and was told to get a solicitor.

My query is does anyone know of anyone who had similar issue and what might be the likely outcome? It was my first offence and I have a full licence.

Possibly 2 years off the road, possible penalty points . There is something about if you get 3 years off the road you can appeal the last bit of it - that's not the exact wording of the law :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Talk to a solicitor as advised by the guards. Look it was a stupid thing and it will have consequences, you'll get over them - seek proper counseling if you need it, at the very least confide in a close and trusted friend or family member - chin up could have been worse and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

How long have you had your fully licence and how long have you been driving?

According to the below, the minimum penalty for a first offence when exceeding 66mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath is 3 years disqualification.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/drink_driving_offences_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6 frosty84

Thanks for the replies, Iv been driving around 10 years and have full licence around 5 or 6 years, no penalty points. More embarrassed than anything but I suppose it could have been a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Thanks for the replies, Iv been driving around 10 years and have full licence around 5 or 6 years, no penalty points. More embarrassed than anything but I suppose it could have been a lot worse.

Exactly, it could have been a lot worse. You could have drove into some poor chap just driving home after work in a pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

Your license is goin to be taken off ya 100% sure of that first offence i wreckon if your,e also of a good character with good representation 1 full year ban best of luck on the day of court just pray the judge is in good humour

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

My girlfriend was done in 2006. She was very drunk at the time and was very lucky nothing worse than a ban came from it.

I'm not sure how much has changed since then but she was banned from driving for 2 years I think. This was appealed after 6 months (or 12 month not 100% sure) and she was given her licence back. Carried an endorsement then for the original period which meant her insurance was very expesive for a few years.

When you make your court appearance ensure to dress smartly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

If that was the first mention of getting a solicitor I would get one and say that to him.

In relation to penalty if I remember correctly its 3 year ban on conviction in the DC and of course you can appeal to CC. If you do get the mandatory ban of 3 years you can apply for your licence back after 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

uRbaN wrote: »
    My girlfriend was done in 2006. She was very drunk at the time and was very lucky nothing worse than a ban came from it.

I'm not sure how much has changed since then but she was banned from driving for 2 years I think. This was appealed after 6 months (or 12 month not 100% sure) and she was given her licence back. Carried an endorsement then for the original period which meant her insurance was very expesive for a few years.

When you make your court appearance ensure to dress smartly.

The law has changed since then. There has been major changes in 2006 and 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This thread is two hours old and there's still no sign of the high horse brigade - surely a record?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

coylemj wrote: »
    This thread is two hours old and there's still no sign of the high horse brigade - surely a record?

Sorry! I was up to me eyes photographing my neighbour's shoddy parking for the next residents association meeting!

OP. don't be drink driving, m'kay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement