Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help Identify Sci Fi Book

Options
  • 29-07-2013 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm looking for help identifying a sci-fi book/series. I read the first book years ago but cannot remember the name. I cant find it with google either. I'm a more of a fantasy reader than sci-fi so this could be a very well known sci-fi book.

The jist of the first book is below as I remember it.

A boy living in an Inuit type culture, very primitive. Whole tribe dies out due to some sickness I thing. Just prior to this he goes through some form of ceremony to become a man. After the tribe dies out he undertakes a journey across an artic type landscape and arrives at some form of university where he studies to become a spaceship pilot.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Sounds like it could be David Zindell's "A Requiem for Homo Sapiens" trilogy or its prequel "Neverness":

First book in the trilogy is "The Broken God":
    Set 10 years after the events in Neverness, and narrated by its protagonist, Mallory Ringess, this book tells the story of the early life of Danlo, Ringess's son. After the tribe he is living with is destroyed by a plague, he undertakes a perilous journey to Neverness City, where he is taken in and instructed by an alien Fravashi ("Old Father"), and joins the Academy in order to become a pilot like his father.
    The tribe was Inuit-based as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kudo

Thats it.Thanks. Been wrecking my head for years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

kudo wrote: »
    Thats it.Thanks. Been wrecking my head for years.
    Really liked these back when I read them. Mixture of sci-fi and philosophy with a dose of spirituality. Interesting series. First series I can recall to use the term "the painfully slow speed of light" when discussing the vast distances between star systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kudo

It's a book that has always stuck with me, I read it about 15 years ago now I think. Was interesting at the time, hope it holds up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Wow I had a stab at Neverness almost 20 years ago now...couldnt get into it. I was about 15 at the time. Might see can i find it and give it another go...

• Advertisement
Advertisement