Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromebook dialup 56k?

Options
  • 28-07-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you can get a chromebook to work with dialup? Usb modem or otherwise. neep help researching this one, I will owe you cookies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Id be interested in the background to this? It'd be so sluggish I dont know why you'd bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

The only thing I can think of would be trying to get hold of one of these, apparently it lets you share a 56K connection over Ethernet ports:

http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B00000JBAC - 3Com 3C886 OfficeConnect 56K LAN Modem

Manual here - http://www.iciltd.com/docs/3com/pdfs/OCLM_56K_UG_Eng.pdf

No idea whether it would work though.

Maybe they should browse with Lynx instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ED E wrote: »
    Id be interested in the background to this? It'd be so sluggish I dont know why you'd bother.
    customer...retail... >_>

long story short, a simple "no", is not an acceptable answer and he was fairly adamant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Why limit your dial-up connection to just one device? Share it via a WiFi Dialup Router. :D

(I suppose, the Chromebook does have a WLAN connection)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/usb-v92-modem

Not familiar with chromebook, drivers would poss be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Torqay wrote: »
    Why limit your dial-up connection to just one device? Share it via a WiFi Dialup Router. :D

(I suppose, the Chromebook does have a WLAN connection)

What's the point in that :pac::pac:

Nick

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B00000JBAC - 3Com 3C886 OfficeConnect 56K LAN Modem

I think I have one of these in the attic that you're welcome to if you want it.

Khannie wrote: »
    I think I have one of these in the attic that you're welcome to if you want it.

The Chromebook doesn't have a LAN connector, wireless only. Of xourse, you can add a WLAN router to the setup... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

I assume the customer has a comp connected to the dialup modem. Install a wireless card into this comp and then bridge the wireless & dialup. Then you have a wireless AP you can work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Overheal wrote: »
    customer...retail... >_>

long story short, a simple "no", is not an acceptable answer and he was fairly adamant

Sometimes being in a customer facing role is just the best thing isnt it.

Surprisingly dial up isnt as dead as I thought it was, seems a load of old timers are refusing broadband. Not sure if its they dont like change or just want to PAYG but its pretty hilarious to see somebody using 56k on a line that can take 24Mb. That said, sometimes the cust is even slower :p

While it is technically possible to connect a Chromebook to the internet on 56k analog dialup, they'll hardly be able use it. Pretty much every application on this gadget relies on an internet connection, it'll take hours to load Google Docs or even their Gmail inbox. They're better off with some netbook with offline capabilities, because by today's standards, 56k is as good as offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What about ditching the customer ?

If they wont spring for a basic BB connection, surely they cant be worth much in terms of support ? Or is there a specific reason the site only has dial up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I'm uncertain about what they've removed from the ChromeOs kernel, but I believe serial support is gone along with other stuff deemed as legacy.
    You'd need to rebuild the kernel to add drivers for your device and be very picky about choosing a linux friendly usb modem.

In the operating system management tools, once the device is detected, it's set as a mobile dial-on-demand broadband connection.
    You provide a dial-number, username and password.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

listermint wrote: »
    What about ditching the customer ?

If they wont spring for a basic BB connection, surely they cant be worth much in terms of support ? Or is there a specific reason the site only has dial up
    No good reason. We explained it was an absurd requirement and he meandered off. Thanks for the help though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

GET o2, or vodafone usb broadband dongle, cost 9 euro a month.
    OF Course you have to check is there coverage in your area.

56k dial up, costs round 60cent an hour ,
    doesn,t make financial sense anymore.
    switch off images in browser to speed up loading time.
    my friend has 3 bars 3g o2, coverage, zero bars on three network 3g in her apartment .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

2hgh4df.jpg

riclad wrote: »
    GET o2, or vodafone usb broadband dongle, cost 9 euro a month.
    OF Course you have to check is there coverage in your area.

56k dial up, costs round 60cent an hour ,
    doesn,t make financial sense anymore.

I believe, we're talking about the US of A here, There might be still some local dial up nodes available (free).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If he was willing to put a different version of Linux on the thing instead of ChromeOS, then it is workable.
    https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/56k-usb-dial-modem

In terms of Overheal's time spent on the problem, a second hand latitude D630 with built-in modem from ebay + new battery seems cheaper, and put whatever OS you want on it.

Advertisement