Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual summer sightings?

Options
  • 28-07-2013 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

The lack of a well defined spring season combined with an unusually lovely heatwave has led to me seeing a few weird things this summer.
    I saw some cockroaches on a walk in Howth last week. I only saw my first tiny wasp of the summer today when they're usually out much earlier in the year and should be massive (and really annoying) by now. I've been seeing frogs hopping about at night time and hedgehogs, badgers and foxes marching around the streets of Dublin during the day.
    Still haven't seen any lizards unfortunately, despite being in very lizard-friendly areas on very lizard-friendly, beautiful days.

What are your unusual wildlife sightings this summer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

aidoh wrote: »

People with natural tans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Corncrake calling on my farm. The first one in 20 years:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Less flippant answer....

Varieties of moth that I've never seen before. When I look them up, some are relatively rare. There's a separate thread I must drop some pics into...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The lack of a well defined spring season combined with an unusually lovely heatwave has led to me seeing a few weird things this summer.
    I saw some cockroaches on a walk in Howth last week. I only saw my first tiny wasp of the summer today when they're usually out much earlier in the year and should be massive (and really annoying) by now. I've been seeing frogs hopping about at night time and hedgehogs, badgers and foxes marching around the streets of Dublin during the day.
    Still haven't seen any lizards unfortunately, despite being in very lizard-friendly areas on very lizard-friendly, beautiful days.

Where's generally good to spot lizards? I'm pretty sure I saw one when I was hillwalking once but can't be certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

All around the Wicklow mountains. I've a friend who runs up there every morning who says that on a sunny day they're out basking in massive numbers on the roads. In Dublin, the Bull Island apparently has a population, as well as the Phoenix Park and Liffey Valley park. You probably did see one, Mickeroo. They're apparently common (although no Irish census has ever been carried out) but good at staying hidden, unless the weather is irresistible.
    That's great news about the corncrake too.
    I've been seeing a lot of falcons around on the M1.
    Also I'm 99% sure I heard a boar in Co. Armagh on Saturday. It was at the very least an escaped pig, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I've been seeing a lot of falcons around on the M1.

If they're hovering over the verge of the motorway, they're almost certainly kestrels, not falcons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

If they're hovering over the verge of the motorway, they're almost certainly kestrels, not falcons.
    Kestrels are falcons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Kestrels are falcons.

Sorry. Correct.
    Kestrels are members of the falcon family.

I meant "kestrels, not peregrine falcons" cos I thought that's the other poster meant by "falcons".

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I meant falcons, just wasn't sure what type of falcon.
    Lots of dead crows too. I always thought crows would be clever enough to hop out of the way of cars. Maybe sunbathing on the hot motorway tar is too relaxing for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I meant falcons, just wasn't sure what type of falcon.
    Lots of dead crows too. I always thought crows would be clever enough to hop out of the way of cars. Maybe sunbathing on the hot motorway tar is too relaxing for them!

Problem with the hot weather is birds aren't as aware of cars because they are exhausted by the heat and unable to have the strength to stay in the air as long so that's usually the main cause of being hit by cars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement