Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda reserve application question

Options
  • 28-07-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Is it true that if you hold a current psa license ( private security authority) , you can't apply for the Garda reserve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Notwithstanding that the requirements of Regulation 4 are met, a person may not be recruited for admission as a reserve trainee if the person:-

Holds a designated certificate, licence or permit i.e. Taxi/PSV License, License to sell intoxicating liquor

Is a member of the Defence Forces

Is an officer of the court

Is an officer of the probation and welfare service

Is a bailiff

Is a prison officer

Is a practicing barrister or a practicing solicitor

For reward or personal gain, manages or conducts, or assists in the management or conducting of, a concern or premises which is required by law to be operated under a licence, permit or certificate, the grant of which may be opposed by An Garda Síochána

Provides a security service within the meaning of the Private Security Services Act 2004

Serves summonses as a spare time activity or
    Is employed in any occupation or holds any appointment or position which, in the opinion of the Garda Commissioner, may cause a conflict of interest with the proper discharge of the duties of a reserve member.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 daedalus177

Hi Colash.

Holding a PSA licence does not "stop" you from applying. However, if you are succesfull at all stages and recieve an offer to commence training then you must hand back the PSA licence.

As Dunner515 mentioned a person who "Provides a security service within the meaning of the Private Security Services Act 2004.....a person may not be recruited for admission as a reserve trainee ".

I am in the same situation, I hold a PSA licence, and I have completed all stages of the garda reserve recruitment process, I passed my medical in June, if/when im offered a place to commence training I must hand it back.

hope this helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Hi Colash.

Holding a PSA licence does not "stop" you from applying. However, if you are succesfull at all stages and recieve an offer to commence training then you must hand back the PSA licence.

As Dunner515 mentioned a person who "Provides a security service within the meaning of the Private Security Services Act 2004.....a person may not be recruited for admission as a reserve trainee ".

I am in the same situation, I hold a PSA licence, and I have completed all stages of the garda reserve recruitment process, I passed my medical in June, if/when im offered a place to commence training I must hand it back.

hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for both replies to my question. Handing back my psa would mean giving up my job an that's something that I'd be lost without. So the Garda Reserve is out for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20 navanlad

m now 17, and it is my burning ambition to join the Gardaí,

I intend in studying Law and joining the reserves to have a better chance of getting in,

I know garda reserves only recruit at 18, so is there a waiting list I can put my name down on or do I have to wait until im actuall 18.

i will be 18 in july next year, so for example, if there were to start training in august next year I could have applied and be able to train them.

All reply's appreciated±!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

navanlad wrote: »
    m now 17, and it is my burning ambition to join the Gardaí,

I intend in studying Law and joining the reserves to have a better chance of getting in,

I know garda reserves only recruit at 18, so is there a waiting list I can put my name down on or do I have to wait until im actuall 18.

i will be 18 in july next year, so for example, if there were to start training in august next year I could have applied and be able to train them.

All reply's appreciated±!!

Hi NavanLad!

Welcome to the forum,

Yes,Wait till you are 18,and then set up a public jobs account and apply for the reserves through there,also set up a text alert for AGS recruitment:)

The reserve process takes roughly 18mths-2Years to get through..unfortunately its a waiting game.

I d sugguest only studying Law if you have a genuine interest in Law, as it is one of those courses that people do without any interest and research,just a warning!

At 18 you have years ahead of you recruitment wise, Work,College,Travel in the meantime,experience life while waiting for your reserves to come through,

Thats my honest advice,

Hope it helps

Canyon86

• Advertisement
Advertisement