Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for websites for parents

Options
  • 28-07-2013 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My parents have just got a laptop & are taking baby steps on the world wide web, however at the moment it seems to be only for RIP.ie & the Irish times !!

Does anyone have any recommendations for sites that might be of interest to an active 65 year old couple, interests in sports & travel & also some history. blogs too would be good. They are not interest in shopping on line at the moment, though might go that way.

Many thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

If they enjoy travel well 'Tripadvisor' website can give hours of fun checking out hotels that you want to stay in or have stayed in.

What about Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Tell them just type what they're interested in, into Google and dont be afraid to click things! Thats how I got going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

and look where ye ended up ;)

I get lots of pleasure from Youtube, watching old comedy and music from years ago
    it starts you off in familiar territory but the suggestions of other shows and tunes/artists takes you down memory lane with loads of entertainment

BBDBB wrote: »
    and look where ye ended up ;)

I get lots of pleasure from Youtube, watching old comedy and music from years ago
    it starts you off in familiar territory but the suggestions of other shows and tunes/artists takes you down memory lane with loads of entertainment

Could've ended up in worse places ;)

I'm the same with youtube. I'll start off watching something and go off on a tangent. Its great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

this is true.............have you made a note so you can find them again? ;)

I discovered Bookmarks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Thanks for the suggestions, hadn't considered Tripadvisor, will definitely recommend to them & Youtube also, that's on the favorites but not getting it at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

All depends on what they are interested in and indeed we all have our own preferences but I'll list a few below that may be useful. As mentioned above just make sure they bookmark every site they are interested in.

Download & install Google Earth - just be sure to un-tick any boxes that may install a different browser before downloading.

Introduce them to Google street view :)

OSI have a free map viewer of Ireland where you can zoom into any area and then by using the menu look at both up to date mapping and old 1835 and 1903 mapping of the same area that can be overlaid on the present day map. Great at looking for a wee bit of physical history in your local area.

Set Google.ie as the home page where there are simple links along the top to various things of interest including Youtube

I find the BBC sports website great for every day use and very simple to use.

The RTE site is also useful for viewing for various news and sports events

Check out those planes up there in that big sky :cool:

Check the price that properties were sold at in your area

Log into the local Council website and get the planning section and look for applications received or decided on in the area. The various plans and maps submitted with the different applications can be viewed online and can be downloaded and printed in most cases also. We're all a wee bit nosy when it comes to seeing what the neighbours are planning to build.

Hope those suggestions help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I like the planes site too! The BBC site has a lot of stuff on it which is entertaining. Cake Wrecks is entertaining, and so is lolcats if they are into cats, or lots of other stuff on Cheezburger http://icanhas.cheezburger.com/lolcats?ref=navbar. Broadsheet.ie also has some good stuff - and some less good stuff, but you can't have everything!

And if you are that way inclined, http://www.jigzone.com/ is a good timewaster!

• Advertisement
Advertisement