Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest kicked point in Croke Park?

Options
  • 28-07-2013 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if a record exists for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

I doubt its recorded. Colm Coyle is the furthest I can remember in the 96 drawn final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

I doubt its recorded. Colm Coyle is the furthest I can remember in the 96 drawn final.

That was the one I thought of first but that bounced before the line. Wonder is there record for one that didn't bounce. Can't think of any that stand out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

That was the one I thought of first but that bounced before the line. Wonder is there record for one that didn't bounce. Can't think of any that stand out.

Was Kevin Cassidys v Kildare far out? Seem to remember I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Was Kevin Cassidys v Kildare far out? Seem to remember I think it was.
    Think Kieran McDonald hurriedly took one free against Dublin 06 semi It was out around his limit and was off his hands kicked low off side off his left Looked 62 yards maybe Will have to find link
    Cassidys was far but not too crazy 50 yards maybe need to check both again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Think Kieran McDonald hurriedly took one free against Dublin 06 semi It was out around his limit and was off his hands kicked low off side off his left Looked 62 yards maybe Will have to find link
    Cassidys was far but not too crazy 50 yards maybe need to check both again
    was Kieran McDonald's point against Kerry in the 04 final taken from even further out?

• Advertisement

I got mixed up, yes the free is against Kerry in 04. I could only find it at 2:44 in the video below (funny video with all of McDonalds scores mirror imaged to him kicking right footed).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QixgOi3sXoU
    So it looks 17 yards beyond the 45. Off the hands I would say that is the longest. But there is likely a good few 65 yard frees off the ground that has been done now and then.
    They are rarer than people think, alot of supposed 65 yard frees were probably few yards closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭chelseaaremagic

i think eamon mcenaney's point for monaghan to equalize against kerry in the all-ireland 1985 could be candidate; it was under the old hogan well inside his own half kicking towards the railway end easy 65 yards if not more

i think eamon mcenaney's point for monaghan to equalize against kerry in the all-ireland 1985 could be candidate; it was under the old hogan well inside his own half kicking towards the railway end easy 65 yards if not more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭megadodge

No offense, but that is typical of the tricks the memory plays as you get older. Thankfully the post above shows the reality.

Mind you it was still an excellent pressure kick.

megadodge wrote: »
    No offense, but that is typical of the tricks the memory plays as you get older. Thankfully the post above shows the reality.

Mind you it was still an excellent pressure kick.
    Is that line the 45? Nothing on video longer than McDonalds 62 off his hands so far

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭mikerodgers96

didn't maurice fitz and anthony tohill score some long range ones

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

didn't maurice fitz and anthony tohill score some long range ones

Pretty sure they did yeah, from my counties perspective i recall Niall Buckley kicking some long range points, along with Dermot Earley and Martin Lynch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Keith Barr from off the ground in the 1995 All-Ireland final. 55 metres I'd say.

4:50 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU8HcU_fBH8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Tommy Walsh kicked a few monster points when he was a minor, I remember seeing one in the AI replay back the years against Roscommon.. Twas in Cusack Park in Ennis though, not the biggest pitch in the world.

May as well post this, not the longest kick in the world but the skill involved was sublime.. Easily 50 yards out, one of the last kicks of the game.. I was with the father in the terrace behind.. The roar when it went over, ah lads, it was deafening:

Dcully wrote: »
    Pretty sure they did yeah, from my counties perspective i recall Niall Buckley kicking some long range points, along with Dermot Earley and Martin Lynch.
    Buckley kicked one wasnt it from 55 in open play in the drawn game series with Meath Hit a real skyscraper one as I remember Think he had just taken ball back towards his own goal a few steps Thats how I recall it and he flashed it n hopped into air after it side on to the goal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    was Kieran McDonald's point against Kerry in the 04 final taken from even further out?

This is from inside the 45!

fullstop wrote: »
    This is from inside the 45!
    That is not the point referring to. Only place I could find the point was in a youtube video with McDonalds points mirror imaged back to right footed shots.
    In that video (Posted it earlier with the time point) you can see the 62 yard one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QixgOi3sXoU
    Point is at 2:44

Advertisement