Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tailoring CV for International Job Applications

• 28-07-2013 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the process of applying for new postdoc jobs both in the UK and US. I've written a generic CV with everything on it with the intention of tailoring it for each job. At the moment it's about 3 pages long, including publications list (which includes non-first author papers, reviews etc, so might be an obvious starting point for cutting). I also have a section which has a list of conference presentations, again an easy thing to leave out. Having said that, I doubt I can condense it into less than 1/1.5 pages.

The first job deadline is for a position in the US and I'm aware that resumes are usually shorter over there, but I can't really find many "science/academia-specific" examples on which to base mine. Also, this first job application would go straight to the PI, rather than a HR dept so I'm not too scared of rejection if the CV is a bit different, but of course don't want to put in anything unneccessary.

Has anyone any suggestions or advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭WhirlEsme

When cutting out the conference and publication lists, perhaps mention something along the lines of "Presented at numerous conferences relating to area X - full list upon request" (or said list can be enclosed separately). Likewise, keep first name publications in there, and mention "collaborations with other authors - full list on request." that way you're covering yourself by acknowledging that information has been omitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

An academic CV is usually long and detailed - of those I have seen over the last five years, they take the same format in the U.S. as in Europe. For a postdoc application, don't shorten it at all, be as detailed as possible. The important thing is the ordering. List education, research interests, publications, presentations, teaching experience, specific skills and other relevant details. I've applied internationally for a few postdoc and assistant professorships, and have always used a full CV, on the advice of European and U.S. trained coworkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭WhirlEsme

http://theprofessorisin.com/2012/01/12/dr-karens-rules-of-the-academic-cv/
    Might be somewhat helpful. Btw, for these postdoc positions, does it request that the resume should be a certain length?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If you are applying for a post-doc position across the pond that has a scientific research job description, I would recommend that you do not cut or condense the length or content of your CV. In such positions they will be looking for details as to your qualifications. Although HR may prescreen it, they will normally forward it to someone science-qualified for review, and a comprehensive CV will be needed.

The 1-page executive summary resume is typically asked for by recruitment agencies in the US, especially for non-scientific positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

thanks for all the comments! It doesn't specify length on the ad I'm applying for at the moment, actually I rarely see it on any to be fair - but that's also why I wanted to check first in case! This ad also states that they welcome applications from all over the world, so I imagine if there was a particular CV format to use it would have said.

I'll probably take your advice anyway WhirlEsme and remove some excessive content,which will leave me with about two pages rather than three, and I won't stress over two pages being excessive :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I would not make any changes, whatsoever. I worked in New York this year (postdoc), but have been offered 2 other positions over in USA and Canada. I also had lots of other interest from other groups and talked to many PIs via Skype after having sent the same CV as I use for UK employers.

What you will find is that recruitment for US jobs in academia is less formal than the British system. US jobs (I mean, posdoc jobs) are typically filled when an ideal candidate comes along, whereas the British will shortlist candidates and invite them to interview.

One thing you must be aware of, too, is that the USA and Canadian postdoc salaries are amongst the worst in thw world. The UK has good salaries for postdocs, as does Norway (the best).

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

stinkle wrote: »
    thanks for all the comments! It doesn't specify length on the ad I'm applying for at the moment, actually I rarely see it on any to be fair - but that's also why I wanted to check first in case! This ad also states that they welcome applications from all over the world, so I imagine if there was a particular CV format to use it would have said.

I'll probably take your advice anyway WhirlEsme and remove some excessive content,which will leave me with about two pages rather than three, and I won't stress over two pages being excessive :)

My CV is currently 4 pages and it seems to make no difference.

- Page 1, Personal details, introductory statement, and education
    - Page 2, Work experience
    - Page 3, Keywords / skills 'matrix'
    - Page 4, Other info, like conferences to which I've been invited to speak, my publication list, awards, et cetera

...that's not even including my referee list, which I say is 'available if requested'

Advertisement