Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Snaps

Options
  • 28-07-2013 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

What lens would you take to Paris?

I have a tamron 17-50 f2.8 and a Nikon 18-200vr

One is sharp and wide the other has vr and 200mm of zoomtasticness.

Disney and Paris city family pics .

Dont want to bring a camera bag. Just a strap and a d3100

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

The 2.8
    The other wont be any use once the sun drops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I am also hoping to get some cool snaps of the firework at Disney . I am also packing a gorilla pod .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I recently took my own advice and travelled light with my camera gear for a short few days away. Travelling light made sense and worked for me.

The downside - something around the 50mm mark on occasion was really too short for me. I didn't have available to me a 'light' enough lens that would have gone from wide to a reasonable zoom, so I didn't have the option but just on a few occasions while away I missed not having a bit more zoom available to me. It's a trade off. Yes, zoom with your feet i'd tell someone else should they tell me of such a predicament but that falls down if you consider photography ala decisive moment.

If I had the options you have above i'd go with the 18-200.

That said I don't know either lens so i'm making the assumption that you are happy with them both. I'm assuming candids of the kids in Disney will be order of the day and a little distance from your subject will help getting the natural sense and feel to it.

Don't stress on it. When you decide, it is then something to live with rather than stress over :)

(There's always crop in photoshop)

Enjoy the trip whatever you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Just back from a week in Munich - I had forgotten just how BRIGHT the world is.
    I'd be happy with the 18-200. Assuming it is sunny, you'll have plenty of light, and I find 50mm a bit short a lot of the time.

-FoxT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

I'd take the 17-50 without a second thought :

-- you want to pack light, so pack the light lens -- 300mm is awesome for the first couple of hours, then your arm starts to complain

-- the telephoto will draw a lot more attention to potential theft

-- by dusk you'll be thanking you have 2.8 instead of vr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

The 18-200 is a great all rounder it was my favourite holiday lens, it is all you need, for night shots use a wall or the ground, or anything to steady it.

This thread is fairly 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Just the Tammy. You've a lot covered with that.

I used to always bring the whole kit away on holidays. The long zoom never left the bag.

I've a sigma 30mm 1.4 for the night time. A fast prime is a must imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I'd take the 2.8

Ahhh what a place.
    I ended up taking the tammy and the little Gorilla pod. Was very very handy .

Seen 1000s of people(mainly Asians), lugging around large full frames with big heavy pro lenses + hoods in 30 degree heat. As sexy as all that kit is it re-establishes how happy I felt about my small amater , cheap and cheerful kit.

Had a great time snapping away much to the annoyance of my family. LOL

Now I have 8gb of raw pics to play with for the next week..

Thanks for the advise!!

For those of you that have not been to Paris and its wonders. I highly recommend it. There is nothing quite like its atmosphere anywhere else in the world.

f5qq.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement