Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone ever buy a laptop from Currys / PC World?

Options
  • 27-07-2013 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

just wanted to see what they were like to deal with - any issues with returns, warranty issues, etc???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Mark.87

Never dealt with Currys before but have with PC World. I assume they are more or less the same.

Like everywhere the staff on the floor can vary. They normally have a few guys on that really know their stuff. If you hang around the computers for a few minutes you can listen in on other dealings and tell who knows their stuff and who doesn’t.

I could be wrong but I don’t think they work on commission as they are never too pushy. However they do try offering you all sorts of insurance, etc. when you buy. Also it could just be me but I don’t think they carry as much stock as they used to, they have lost out twice in the past year by not having what I wanted, even though it was on display.

Never had anything break so can’t comment directly on returns and warranty but I do have a friend who spilt a cup of tea over their laptop and they repaired it with no issues. Luckily he got insurance for just that when he bought the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I've dealt with both, and never had any warranty issues, they were easy to deal with and didn't try to blow me off.

As the poster above said. It's sort of hit and miss on who knows about PC's, best to go there with an idea of exactly what you're looking for.

However, you will be charged about 100/150 more (at least) buying a PC in a store over buying online. This is because stores have overheads and all that.

If you want the handiness of dealing with someone face to face, and just dropping the PC off at a store if there is any problems than thats fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I've bought two or three laptop computers from PCWorld here over the years and never had a problem with any of them.

On one occasion I also bought a laptop from Currys/PC World in the duty free at Heathrow, whenI saw this particular model I had been looking for looking for at a decent price compared to what I'd seen them for at home. Before I bought it I asked them about the warranty in case I needed to return it as I was just passing through. The sales assistant told me the warranty would be honoured in Ireland and I could just bring it back to any PC World/Currys there. Some time later the laptop started playing up so I brought it to my local PC World, they didn't bat an eyelid when I told them where I'd bought it and took it in for repair. They told me it would take about ten to fifteen days but when I went up to collect it it still hadn't been returned to the shop and said it could be another ten to fifteen days. I complained to the manager that I didn't want to be without the laptop for this long and without any fuss he immediately offered to give me a replacement, which I gladly took....!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bought a lappy from Currys. No issues really.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

The warranties are good, the initial prices may not be. (PC parts are generally overpriced).

Currys:
    I once took out a 3 year warranty on a 100 euro 4GB mp3 player. The warranty was 10 euro and It broke, they replaced it.
    That one broke, they replaced it with an 8GB player because the 4GB was out of stock.
    This kept happening over the course of 3 years maybe 10 times, and over that time, the prices of these things dropped like crazy.
    In the end I had a 60GB mp3 player with a 5inch screen without any extra cost.

In saying that, it's probably my best experience with them, they try to sell a lot of insurance and stuff due to commission and the staff (PC World + Currys) can lack a lot of computer knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From when I supported Gateway customers in the UK, if machine was bought from the DSG group, we wouldn't support it. All support at the time went through the Tech Guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

cool - thanks for the responses, looking at this:

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/TOSHIBA-Satellite-C8501NU-156andrdquo-Laptop/314594/104.10

any thoughts?

will be using for Word, Excel, watching videos, the web - no gaming, V little downloading...........

Celeron? F**k that. Rest of the specs look okay, but using a Celeron for video doesn't strike me as a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

the_syco wrote: »
    Celeron? F**k that. Rest of the specs look okay, but using a Celeron for video doesn't strike me as a good idea.

why? this isn't a celeron chip from 1996. This model should be more than capable of playing video.

Celerons are good for Office, but could never recommend one for watching videos (video on a new laptop usually equals 1080p); too many complaints.

• Advertisement
Advertisement