Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very odd parcel motel experience

Options
  • 27-07-2013 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine ordered something online the other day and decided to use parcel motel to save on shipping, it was their first time using it so they got a free go. They received a text saying that there parcel had arrived and the went to collect it, it's over a half an hour to our local parcel motel, when they got there they entered their pin and mobile number as I had told them but their package wasn't in there, instead there was a pair of parcel motel slippers and a parcel motel towel, it said some free goodies for you take home on the package.

Now they have received a text saying that they do not have sufficient credit to send their parcel and they should log into their account to top up. So now have they not only not received their parcel, they have wasted petrol to go the parcel motel and now they want them to top up so hat they can receive the package that they actually ordered, not exactly free goodies when they used the credit to send them!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Maybe the driver forgot to put the actual parcel along with the freebies.

Ring or email them, they are usually quick to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It might be because they have scrapped the free stays.

I got this in an e-mail a few weeks ago
    Our introductory offer of 2 free stays is coming to an end on 21st July. But the good news is if you recommend a friend during July and August you will earn a free stay for yourself and your friend will be entered into a draw to win one of 10 XBoxes.

Remember to get your friend to mention your PMID when they register. Winners will be announced on our Facebook and Twitter pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Skid X wrote: »
    It might be because they have scrapped the free stays.

I got this in an e-mail a few weeks ago

He definitely had €3.50 in his account when he signed up, I saw it myself. They are closed until Monday so we will get onto them Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

This happened to me too,Signed up over the weekend with 3.50 but it's gone on the gift now.

Shame about the free stay's stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

bradlente wrote: »
    This happened to me too,Signed up over the weekend with 3.50 but it's gone on the gift now.

Shame about the free stay's stopping.

Yup the €3.50 is for the gift, its a pity because I think the free stays are what get people hooked. Plus you can only top up your account by €10 or more so that's going to turn a lot of people off using it.

• Advertisement

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Yup the €3.50 is for the gift, its a pity because I think the free stays are what get people hooked. Plus you can only top up your account by €10 or more so that's going to turn a lot of people off using it.

If you link a card you don't have to worry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Didn't think of that.

Not sure now whether to top up or link my card and unlink it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

The gift costs 3.50? It says free gift on their website right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 marrus

I emailed them about this and this was their reply.

To celebrate our first birthday, we are sending our new customers a free welcome gift. We have received a very positive reaction to this, especially on social media, Twitter and Facebook and we are very satisfied with how the campaign is going. With 150 new registrations daily, yours is the first complaint we have received.
    The welcome gift goes out like a normal delivery and we hope it gives our new customers a chance to experience Parcel Motel before they have to pay for it. To prevent people from being charged for the delivery, we must first credit the account with €3.50 before we check in the welcome gift and this is what happened in your case.
    We offer our existing customers the chance to earn free stays by recommending our service to friends and family. For every person you refer you can earn €3.50 for your account. Also, during July and August we are entering new customers into a draw to win one of 10 Xboxes.

Regards

ruth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭pms7

Had similar experience. Expecting my new phone, very disappointed with the slippers! They should send gift with first delivery, save everyone a trip. Saw on their site you can opt out of gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

My husband opted out of the gift but they still sent it - he picked it up thinking it was an actual parcel. Both of us binned the slippers.

Its a completely silly and wasteful idea tbh. I viewed it as a 3.50 registration fee. Id bet that 99% of those slippers are being binned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

My husband opted out of the gift but they still sent it - he picked it up thinking it was an actual parcel. Both of us binned the slippers.

Its a completely silly and wasteful idea tbh. I viewed it as a 3.50 registration fee. Id bet that 99% of those slippers are being binned.
    Kind of a lousy gift if it could even be considered a gift when you have to pay to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

Are the slippers any good? Might sign up to get a pair now that we are heading into the winter. Alternatively they may make a good Christmas present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Are the slippers any good? Might sign up to get a pair now that we are heading into the winter. Alternatively they may make a good Christmas present.

No, they are like thin socks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Theyre very cheapy slippers. Think cheapiest of the cheap materials and construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I have had no trouble since signing up, got my gift free. Used it twice since then and think it's a fantastic deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thank heaven for Boards. I was very surprised to get a text & email to say that I had a package. I nearly fell for this con & was about to register my card.

A company offering this type service has to be a hundred percent trustworthy. I now don't trust Parcel Motel.

The notification email should of mentioned the free gift that would of cost me 3.50.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Discodog wrote: »
    Thank heaven for Boards. I was very surprised to get a text & email to say that I had a package. I nearly fell for this con & was about to register my card.

A company offering this type service has to be a hundred percent trustworthy. I now don't trust Parcel Motel.

The notification email should of mentioned the free gift that would of cost me 3.50.

They don't charge you for the free gift delivery to your parcel motel.

Methinks someone needs to call Liveline :-)

They don't charge you for the free gift delivery to your parcel motel.

Then why don't they explain this in the notification text & email.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Discodog wrote: »
    Then why don't they explain this in the notification text & email.

They should, considering it's a "free" gift, the reason, if you had 3.50 in your account, they didn't use that do deliver the gift, they removed it from your account because it expired.

They did sent out emails stating that the free credit was switching over to free gifts.

Ofcourse after 48 hours they will charge you because your free gift is taking up space in the storage locker, I'm sure if you emailed them, or rang them saying you don't want the gift they would happily take it back.

Great customer service. I have to email them to prevent charges for something that I didn't want or ask for.

Advertisement