Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment documents query

Options
  • 27-07-2013 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all

I'm from Northern Ireland and gonna be moving down to the State to work in the near future. Got a few questions, as the Irish system is very different to that in the UK.

These are:
    1) What is a Tax Credit Certificate? Can it only be received after I give my new employer my PPSN?

2) Are P60s only issued at the end of the year (December)?

3) Is it true that utility bills (electricity/phone etc.) are only issued bi-monthly? I need one to get a bank account :(

4) Is it easy to get a contract mobile phone? Are bills for these only issued bi-monthly also?

Sorry for all the hassle!

Thanks
    C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

chaoclive wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm from Northern Ireland and gonna be moving down to the State to work in the near future. Got a few questions, as the Irish system is very different to that in the UK.

These are:
    1) What is a Tax Credit Certificate? Can it only be received after I give my new employer my PPSN?

Not sure on this one

2) Are P60s only issued at the end of the year (December)?

End of the tax year

3) Is it true that utility bills (electricity/phone etc.) are only issued bi-monthly? I need one to get a bank account :(

Some monthly, some bi monthly, will a ltter from your employer not suffice?

4) Is it easy to get a contract mobile phone? Are bills for these only issued bi-monthly also?

Monthly. We have no central credit referencing (generally) in the republic so with a new job/new address expect a hefty deposit. Pay as you go deals normally work out much better value than bill pay anyway.

Sorry for all the hassle!

Thanks
    C

See bold above.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chaoclive

Thanks for the speedy reply.
    The bank said that they need proof of address/residence, but I'll figure something out.
    I'll probably go with pay as you go then - that's an easy enough option.
    Thanks again!
    Cj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

to add to above :

when you get your new PPS number give it to employer but also ask them for their employer's registered company number. Ring Revenue and record your employment with this company. (its often faster than waiting for the company to do it and you're sure that you are now registered).

P60 is only issued to employees employed by the company on 31st Dec of each year. If you have been let go before that date, you don't get a P60. company has until 15th Feb of the next year to issue these.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In the Republic, your first 15k or so is (virtually) tax free, and the next 20k or so is taxed at about 20%. Anything over that is taxed at about 40%.

A tax credits certificate tells your employer how much tax to take off you, so that overall for the year you pay the right amount. This is made up of two parts - tax-credits (the 15k part), and standard-rate-cut-off-point (the difference between 20% and 40%.

It can only be issued after you give your new employer your PPSN, and either your last Irish P45 (which you obviously don't have yet), a P12a, or a P46. In your case, you need to do a P12a, because this is what sets you up in the Irish tax system.

Re proof of address. One option is to use the letter that you get from Revenue, eg the one that your PPSN comes in. I've also heard that getting a dog licence from the council is a good way to get a 2nd form of address. (I'm not sure if you actually need to own the dog in order to get a license for it, if you get my drift ... note that I'm NOT suggesting to do illegal things, it's just that sometimes you need to manage relationships ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

Your best bet would be to go in to the tax office with your employers reg no and your PPS when you get it, it would be much quicker to sort.

They might accept a letting agreement as proof of address?

You probably could get your utility bills as monthly, no harm in asking.
    You will probably have to pay deposits to open these accounts too, some might accept a DD.

If you have a phone and can get it unlocked to use down here you'll be better off than signing up to a contract with a phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

to add to above :

when you get your new PPS number give it to employer but also ask them for their employer's registered company number. Ring Revenue and record your employment with this company. (its often faster than waiting for the company to do it and you're sure that you are now registered).
    Mrs W wrote: »
    Your best bet would be to go in to the tax office with your employers reg no and your PPS when you get it, it would be much quicker to sort.

As mentioned by MrsObumble OP needs to submit a 12a form since they have never worked in the state before. They can't just ring revenue as they are not in the system. Only a 12a form will get them their tax credits

OP first step, apply for your PPSN. Once you get it use the letter and a letter from your employer as proof of address to open a bank account. Once this is done get your employer registration number and complete a 12a form and get it to revenue ASAP. These are the 3 crucial things as you getting paid all depend on these things.

Once all this is done then worry about utilities etc.

Once your 12a form has gone in it will take about 3-6 weeks for revenue to issue your employer with a tax credit certificate. In the meantime you will have to pay emergency tax at a rate of 41%. However the good news is that since we are more than halfway through the year, even your emergency tax will be less than it would be if for example you were starting work at the start of the year.

Best of luck with the new job!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

P60 is only issued to employees employed by the company on 31st Dec of each year. If you have been let go before that date, you don't get a P60. company has until 15th Feb of the next year to issue these.

Sorry but this is also incorrect. All companies must issue P60s for every person who was employed during the tax year, even if they have left. So if for example you changed jobs in July, in January or so of the next year you would get 2 P60s - one for each employment during the last tax year

No offence but if you're not sure about what you are telling people you really should be more careful about the 'advice' you give. It's not very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Sorry but this is also incorrect. All companies must issue P60s for every person who was employed during the tax year, even if they have left. So if for example you changed jobs in July, in January or so of the next year you would get 2 P60s - one for each employment during the last tax year

No offence but if you're not sure about what you are telling people you really should be more careful about the 'advice' you give. It's not very helpful.

tatli_lokma, no offence taken but I am very sure about my advice, see the attached info. check this out if you want the correct info regarding who gets a P60.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/paye/guide/employers-guide-paye-tax-year.html#section11

and this taken directly from Revenue website:

Important: The P60 certificate should not be given to an employee who was not in the employment on 31 December.
    An employee who was in employment on 31 December and ceased that employment on 31 December should be given a form P45 and a form P60.

my original post was correct.

Advertisement