Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random large field stones opinions

Options
  • 27-07-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

A couple of the nearby fields in my locality have this feature . Large collections of stones in random areas of the field . I was out walking the dog yesterday and noticed this in 2 fields . I regret not getting a picture ,. But have these stones any archelogical significance or are they just natural collections of stones ? The stones are large and embedded in the soil

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Colash wrote: »
    A couple of the nearby fields in my locality have this feature . Large collections of stones in random areas of the field . I was out walking the dog yesterday and noticed this in 2 fields . I regret not getting a picture ,. But have these stones any archelogical significance or are they just natural collections of stones ? The stones are large and embedded in the soil
    Probably field stone clearance.
    Ploughs working the fields over the years encounter undesirable stones and these are dug up and cleared to the outskirts of the field or some out of the way place.
    Quite often, especially in very stony ground, piles were made right in the field rather than on the outskirts.
    This sort of clearance usually indicates clearance by hand and could date from any period.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

Did a bit of stone picking myself once upon a time on the Granuncles farm...! Been going on for millennia I would think..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

A fine example of stone farming!
    http://binged.it/15VR93C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kicking Bird

I took this image of a small clearance cairn several weeks ago whilst looking for the source of a small river.I suppose you can see how some could mistake it for something of archaeological significance.

Sorry Simon.d if this has brought back back-breaking memories!

Advertisement