Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop overheating and turning off when NOT playing games

Options
  • 27-07-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I've had a good search through google and cant seem to find a cause/solution for this.

Its and acer aspire 5750g, running windows 7. It overheats and turns itself off without warning when just watching youtube etc. This is fine i can understand why it may be occurring and know all about the possible solutions etc

That bit this puzzles me is that the laptop will not crash when playing a game minecraft for instance. Surely running a game like this would put more pressure on the machine and hence create more heat.

maybe someone here knows whats going on with this, i'm stumped

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

It most likely needs a good clean out. Dust and fibres get trapped in the vents and stop the fan extracting the heat from the cpu. It's a common problem, especially with laptops, and easy to fix. The "turning off" is a safety mechanism to protect the cpu from damage. Try YouTube for videos of cleaning out your particular model, there a loads online, and you could save a few quid too, if you have the confidence of course. It's not technically difficult.

Start here:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cleaing+out+the+fan+on+an+acer+aspire+laotop&oq=cleaing+out+the+fan+on+an+acer+aspire+laotop&gs_l=youtube.3..33i21l2.15680.39321.0.40894.44.44.0.0.0.0.274.5053.15j28j1.44.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.wrxjiYlEBKE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Also sounds like it could need a fresh layer of coolant paste on the CPU .

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tommy.obr

yeah i've gave it a good clean,, stripped it down twice at this stage.

Any thoughts on why it does not crash when a game is running, the temperature readings go a lot higher when its playing games aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Needs a more expert opinion then, as you have cleaned it, and it keeps running during gaming.
    Someone will be along with a diagnosis I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

That's extremely unusual. Do you possibly have a dedicated graphics card that's kicking in and taking most of the burden?
    That could explain it.

How about dual fans? one running slower than the other?
    Or perhaps not correctly turning on/reaching good speed when only watching youtube, but running efficiently when gaming.

Another possible issue is that some games will effectively use multi cores, where as most browsers don't. I'm not sure if it only running one core at full capicity could be causing the crashing when overheating though.

Are you absolutely certain it's due to over-heating? Any chance there might be something else acting up? Maybe a program clash?

Have you tried youtube with various browsers?
    Lower end gaming versus higher end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 tommy.obr

That's extremely unusual. Do you possibly have a dedicated graphics card that's kicking in and taking most of the burden?
    That could explain it.Yep it has dedicated graphics card so that could very well be the reason, i had'nt thought of that to be honest

How about dual fans? one running slower than the other?
    Or perhaps not correctly turning on/reaching good speed when only watching youtube, but running efficiently when gaming.
    Only got the one fan as far as i know

Another possible issue is that some games will effectively use multi cores, where as most browsers don't. I'm not sure if it only running one core at full capicity could be causing the crashing when overheating though.
    Not sure what the situation with cores is to be honest, i'd have to look it up

Are you absolutely certain it's due to over-heating? Any chance there might be something else acting up? Maybe a program clash?
    In short No i'm not 100% sure, but i'm about 90%. I have no experience with clashing programs causing crashes really so dont know if i would recognise it. I am fairly sure its heat related, if the laptop is position so that the fan is not blocked etc it will last a lot longer with out crashing

Have you tried youtube with various browsers?
    I have tried multiple brosers, no joy
    Lower end gaming versus higher end?
    Low end gaming

I think the best option is to take it apart again and see if i can find any dust etc that i may have missed

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

you could try replacing the fan. Change the cooling paste on the CPU as well.
    I think the GPU is kicking in for the gaming and that's why you're not crashing then.

I don't know if you can set it to be active for browsing too.. or if that would help.

It's odd though.

And yeah it doesn't really sound like programs clashing either.. they normally give BSOD screen rather than just switching off anyway.

Advertisement