Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

time available, want to start writing

Options
  • 27-07-2013 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I've wanted to try writing for a while now but the motivation has never really kicked in properly. I'm on maternity leave now so have a lot more time on my hands and would love to get into the habit of writing regularly. I have many ideas but I don't know where to start to start spreading them out into a story. Do I just start n see where I get to, or do I take time to thread it out? Any advice will be welcomed! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

You have a new baby and time on your hands? How do you manage it?

Normally I tell people to plot out a story before you write, but as you are starting say just sit down and write.

Sit down every day, for at least an hour, and write a miniumn number of words. Somewhere between 500 and 1000. Tell yourself they don't have to be good, they just have to be written. You'd be surprised how quickly things shape themselves into a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

And triple space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GreenGables

EileenG wrote: »

Sit down every day, for at least an hour, and write a miniumn number of words. Somewhere between 500 and 1000. Tell yourself they don't have to be good, they just have to be written.

I haven't written anything in a number of years (Okay, decades in my case) but this is the best advice that I have read today for anyone who wants to start writing or, like me, return to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I've recently gotten back into writing. I went over to Easons and bought a pack of school copybooks. I sit down every day and just write something - either from a daily prompt, something I've noticed when out and about or some other exercise. I've one of the books half-filled already and it's becoming more and more natural to just pick it up and note something down every time I see something that strikes me.

I'm still a long way off writing something I'd be proud of, but hopefully, I'm getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

What are you passionate about? What topics press your hot button? If you can identify that, you'll have a basis for writing stories. You can base your stories around a theme or topic and your passion will propel you forward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement