Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare payment Disability Allowance for Post Traumatic Stress / Depression

Options
  • 27-07-2013 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I've recently been diagnosed with severe post traumatic stress / depression and my doctor has told me I should apply for disability allowance. I've been receiving counselling, psychotherapy and on meds, however there hasn't been any improvements in my mental health. It has affected my day to day life and I was wondering if anyone thinks I'm entitled to disability allowance. Your info would be much appreciated...thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Sorry to hear that Juicy. I wouldn't have a clue to be honest. You're best bet is to go into Citizens advice for information or apply yourself. Some agencies offer advocates that will act on your behalf.

Best of luck and I hope you're feeling better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

I've recently been diagnosed with severe post traumatic stress / depression and my doctor has told me I should apply for disability allowance. I've been receiving counselling, psychotherapy and on meds, however there hasn't been any improvements in my mental health. It has affected my day to day life and I was wondering if anyone thinks I'm entitled to disability allowance. Your info would be much appreciated...thanks

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_allowance.html

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/da.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Or, talk to the Community Welfare Officer at your local health centre. They're supposed to advise on this, unless things have changed recently. Be aware. Some CWOs are very helpful. To others, you're just a number and you'll get short shrift, especially with psychological disabilities. Always check what you're told, as (a) you might be badly advised as in the wrong advice and/or (b) you may only be given information to questions you ask. For instance. If you only ask about the fact that you're in a wheelchair but mention in passing you also have depression but don't ask specific questions about depression and help available, its possible information you need about depression won't be volunteered. Its an extremely dysfunctional system / department IMO / experience. Don't believe anyone. Check everything you're told and where possible get things in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jack7

download or get form from SW office, put in as much medical information u can. write a note telling them that u are currently getting counselling etc. have all
    bank statements, p.60 payslips ready. they supposed to b new staff brought in the past month to deal with all new claims .

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JuicyTookie

Thanks everyone for all your info, I've received a text message informing me "Your application for Disability Allowance has been received and is being examined" so fingers crossed all goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Mama40

Hi Juicy, I am sure you would be entitled to it but it is means tests so you have to send in a lot of information plus it takes months to have it approved. I applied on the 23rd January and only today I got a letter asking to provide our bank statements. Only a few weeks ago I sent in more relevant information to my case. I am now hoping that is a positive sign they are asking for our bank statements as we have had a very tough year with me having no income. Also you will not be entitled to the job seekers allowance if you apply. I am not sure what your situation is if you are still getting paid in work or on illness benefit that also only lasts 200 days then you are on nothing so apply asap if you are going to. also check out www.disabililtyallowance.ie or google it and see if you are entitled to it. I hope you are feeling better soon. try to stay positive I know times are tough for every one but chin up xx

Advertisement