Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gloucester v Munster Heineken Cup trip

Options
  • 27-07-2013 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice for anyone that may have travelled to Gloucester before for a game or is planning on travelling to Gloucester for the Heineken Cup game in 2014. A group of about 10 of us are heading over for the game and are debating between staying in Gloucester for the weekend or down the road in Bristol. It's easy enough to get to the game from Bristol and heard it's a much nicer place.

All thoughts/opinions welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'd stay in Gloucester, will be much better to mingle with the Glaws fans after the game rather than head back to Bristol for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

I've stayed in Bristol a few times for ou games in Cardiff, it's a fine city/town but one drawback to staying in Bristol rather than Gloucester is you're away from the action, Bristol folk may not even be aware of the Munster game and IMHO I think that takes from the trip.

If hotel costs were similar and availability was OK then I'd head for Gloucester, if Bristol worked out better for ease of access, costs, availability and you pick it then I think you'll still have a great weekend.

Is there any chance of Gloucester moving the game to increase ticket sales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

phog wrote: »
    I've stayed in Bristol a few times for ou games in Cardiff, it's a fine city/town but one drawback to staying in Bristol rather than Gloucester is you're away from the action, Bristol folk may not even be aware of the Munster game and IMHO I think that takes from the trip.

If hotel costs were similar and availability was OK then I'd head for Gloucester, if Bristol worked out better for ease of access, costs, availability and you pick it then I think you'll still have a great weekend.

Is there any chance of Gloucester moving the game to increase ticket sales?[/QUOTE]

No, they love playing in front of the shed. This will be trickier tie than people think. You are right to advise to def stay in Gloucester though. Great relationship between both sets of supporters. Glaws remain the best fans I've encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Skybox

Thanks for the replies guys. Had heard that Gloucester was a bit rough and full of chavs! Whats the stadium like and how likely is the game to be sold out. We went to the Scarlets game two years ago and the Edinburgh game last year and bought tickets at the stadium both times! Is Gloucester stadium a decent enough size that we wouldn't have to worry about getting tickets?

Skybox wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. Had heard that Gloucester was a bit rough and full of chavs! Whats the stadium like and how likely is the game to be sold out. We went to the Scarlets game two years ago and the Edinburgh game last year and bought tickets at the stadium both times! Is Gloucester stadium a decent enough size that we wouldn't have to worry about getting tickets?

Not sure about Gloucester's home support but I'd be shocked if it's not sold out.

Doubt many if any will go on public sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Guaranteed to be a sell out. Not a big ground unless they've done something to it in the last few years. A traditional venue. From my experience, you'll get a good welcome in Gloucester from practically everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I went over in 08 when Munster played them. We stayed in Bristol and were sorry we did. Gloucester is a great rugby town, bit rough and ready but very welcoming of visiting fans (and we beat them that day!!)
    The shed is a super ground right in the center of the city, we had mighty craic in a pub called Mike Teagues.

Don't stay in Bristol anyway, zero atmosphere there for the game, more of a soccer town and not one I'd be rushing back to...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

Benny Cake wrote: »
    I went over in 08 when Munster played them. We stayed in Bristol and were sorry we did. Gloucester is a great rugby town, bit rough and ready but very welcoming of visiting fans (and we beat them that day!!)
    The shed is a super ground right in the center of the city, we had mighty craic in a pub called Mike Teagues.

Don't stay in Bristol anyway, zero atmosphere there for the game, more of a soccer town and not one I'd be rushing back to...

agree with all this.
    was over for a len match few years ago, good crack after match with pure rugby fans. on the second night we went to cheltenham, 10 miles away, and had a great night too.
    2 very different towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

When will they confirm the time and dates for rounds 5/6?
    Is it around November time ?

When will they confirm the time and dates for rounds 5/6?
    Is it around November time ?

The week after Pool 4

• Advertisement

Rightwing wrote: »
    Guaranteed to be a sell out. Not a big ground unless they've done something to it in the last few years. A traditional venue. From my experience, you'll get a good welcome in Gloucester from practically everyone.

When we were over at the Scarlets game two years ago, there was about 10,000 there, last year at Murrayfield was similar! Do Gloucester have a big crowd following them?

According to Wikipedia, the stadium capacity is 16,500 and according to Gloucester's own website, the highest attendance for a HC match in the last 3 years was 13,000.

Anyone provide a bit more info on this?

Thanks for all the replies so far!

The last time we played Gloucester in Kingsholm there was over 16K there. I don't know if that's the normal capacity or the had they extra seating in for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Consider staying in Cheltenham. Much nicer than Gloucester and only 20 minutes away. It's also less than an hour from Birmingham airport which should have more air route options than Bristol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm lucky enough to have been to Kingsholm for all 3 of Munsters HEC games there.

Stayed in Glaws itself twice. It's a bit rough and ready but the rugby locals are friendly and decent. Limited amount of pubs - 3 opposite the grounds I think. Mike Teague owns one of them.

Last time (the 1/4 final) I stayed in Bristol - we had plenty of fun there too.

Fair point!! We're all from Cork ourselves! Any tips on getting tickets? phog mentioned that there may not be any tickets on public sale!

Fair point!! We're all from Cork ourselves! Any tips on getting tickets? phog mentioned that there may not be any tickets on public sale!

Are you a full member of MRSC, if not maybe you know someone who is and wont be going to the game.

Are you a full member of MRSC, if not maybe you know someone who is and wont be going to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Was there in in 08,however,stayed in a B&B somewhere across the Severn a few miles out of town,but still went out on the town that night. Was dissappointed with Mick Teague's-for some reason he thought the best post-match entertainment would be a trio of clowns doing"beat-boxing".Bad decision.

Malmsbury and Tewksbury would be close by,and both are rugby towns,and quieter than Gloucester.

Would recommend Gloucester Cathedral and "The New Inn"-it's a watering hole that dates from the 16th century with some unique features.Grade 1 listed building.

Advertisement