Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport: Place of birth

Options
  • 27-07-2013 9:02am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone encountered this before?
    I was born in Bessboro a long long time ago.
    Recently when renewing my passport- I received a ring from the Passport Office to advise me that as my birth cert had 'Dublin' down as my place of birth (aka the address of the Adoption Authority on Shelbourne Road), that I would not be allowed to have 'Cork' on my passport as my place of birth? I was advised the course of least resistance was to accept Dublin on it, as I was only going to cause no end of grief for myself by putting Cork down as it mismatched with my birthcert.........? I tried to explain- to no avail........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi, Dublin is down on most adoption certs because the adoption board is in Dublin so all our adoptions went through Dublin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

kathy finn wrote: »
    hi, Dublin is down on most adoption certs because the adoption board is in Dublin so all our adoptions went through Dublin

I thought it would be nice to put Cork down- seeing as thats where I was born :(

hi, I was bessboro too, 1969. it would be nice to have cork down as my place of birth too but just another lie on our birthcerts.

kathy finn wrote: »
    hi, I was bessboro too, 1969. it would be nice to have cork down as my place of birth too but just another lie on our birthcerts.

If we weren't adopted- it would be a criminal offense to knowingly have false/inaccurate details on our passports........ The passport office's response to this was 'Nah, don't worry about it- its far too difficult to change it, even if its wrong........'

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

Recently when renewing my passport- I received a ring from the Passport Office to advise me that as my birth cert had 'Dublin' down as my place of birth (aka the address of the Adoption Authority on Shelbourne Road), that I would not be allowed to have 'Cork' on my passport as my place of birth? I was advised the course of least resistance was to accept Dublin on it, as I was only going to cause no end of grief for myself by putting Cork down as it mismatched with my birthcert.........? I tried to explain- to no avail........

If it's important to you, a little application to the High Court (do it yourself with the help of the court registrar) should sort that out. Its either right or wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭biddybops

Still happening, so don't be too concerned.
    My daughter was born in Galway but according to legal documents she was actually born in the sacred heart hospital in cork!
    The state have no shame in changing the facts to absolve themselves of any responsibility for what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

I thought I'd heard it all (I am adopted also) ... I am searching for my birth cert - know my BM name/DOB/Hospital/Name I was supposed to have been given - but no record of me being born in that hospital. I hadn't known it was common for people to have been born in one county and place of birth to put as Dublin ... If I were you I would definitely pursue this especially as it seems quite common.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

search for all children born in that hospital on your birthday with no fathers name on the birth cert and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

On a similar topic, where is an adopted person From??

Is it the place we were born, the place our natural Mother is from, the place we may have spent the first few months of our life in or the place we grew up in????????

I suppose it all depends on what particular frame of mind you're in.
    I don't really profess affinity with any particular location- I thought it would be nice to have my passport accurate- moreso that a dislike of the fact that it has 'Dublin' on it, when I wasn't born in Dublin- but to be 100% honest, I don't really relate or associate myself with anywhere at all (anymore anyway).

• Advertisement

I was born in cork and spent my first 3 months in bessboro, on my original birthcert it says cork. my birthmother was from cork, my birthdad from Dublin and I was adopted to a couple in Dublin. I suppose im half/ half

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

On a similar topic, where is an adopted person From??

Is it the place we were born, the place our natural Mother is from, the place we may have spent the first few months of our life in or the place we grew up in????????

I have always thought I was 'from' the place where I grew up ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Wittner

@The_Conductor

My wife was born in Bessboro (or at least the hospital nearby). She was brought up in Dublin and I just asked her and she says her adoption papers, birth cert and passport all say Cork. Just for your info...

Surely if you were born in Cork and you want your place of birth on your passport to say Cork, you should be able to that! Crazy!

(of course, being a Dub I wish she'd change it to Dublin) JUST KIDDING!!!

;-)

Wittner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Just found this thread having brought the subject up in another one! Thought dh was born in Dublin as his place of birth on his passport says so (I assumed that there was some way the authorities knew this info and that's why it was on it) Turns out he wasn't born there at all, but he spent a week there about 5 weeks after his birth in another county. He was then adopted. So it is very strange that Dublin is on his passport as his place of birth.

Ghekko wrote: »
    Just found this thread having brought the subject up in another one! Thought dh was born in Dublin as his place of birth on his passport says so (I assumed that there was some way the authorities knew this info and that's why it was on it) Turns out he wasn't born there at all, but he spent a week there about 5 weeks after his birth in another county. He was then adopted. So it is very strange that Dublin is on his passport as his place of birth.

Many of the births registered, have 'Shelbourne Road, Dublin 4' as the place of birth- which corresponds with the offices of the old Adoption Authority.

I never managed to get mine amended to Cork- I'm a Bessboro baby too- it was made clear to me by the DFA that it would be extremely difficult to change it- and I would cause extreme delays to having my passport renewed.........

Perhaps if they are looking at adoption legislation- correcting our details on our passports and other documentation- might be something they might consider.

Advertisement