Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really, what does the pope think of followers?

Options
  • 27-07-2013 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

I know we have no followers here, but, my feeling is that he must view them just like we do. Pity, contempt, sympathy a bit of ridicule?

Here's himself:

VQw8f5t.jpg

There's NO WAY he believes in the bible. Just like any other clergyman, he's invested so much, and to admit otherwise would be embarrassing to himself and every christian.

Like any other clergyman, he knows deep down he got suckered, but feels it's best to trudge on regardless. (although some have left and got married) Pride can be such a hindrance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I know we have no followers here, but, my feeling is that he must view them just like we do. Pity, contempt, sympathy a bit of ridicule?

Here's himself:

VQw8f5t.jpg

There's NO WAY he believes in the bible. Just like any other clergyman, he's invested so much, and to admit otherwise would be embarrassing to himself and every christian.

Like any other clergyman, he knows deep down he got suckered, but feels it's best to trudge on regardless. (although some have left and got married) Pride can be such a hindrance.
    From what I have seen, the answer to your question is "mmmmm, feet."

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Here's himself:

VQw8f5t.jpg

the only sensible answer to your ridiculous presumption is "42"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Like any other clergyman, he knows deep down he got suckered
    i've known, and been friendly with a few priests in my time. their views can be sincere, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I would agree with you that none of them believes in the bible, or in their god, at all. I think that their actions regarding the recent scandals is proof of this. If they really believed they were being judged by their actions and that they were required to atone for their sins or they would go to hell they would be on their knees begging forgiveness, they'd be wearing sackcloth and ashes, and they'd be handing over every penny they had to make reparations to the people whose lives they ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,443 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Like any other clergyman, he knows deep down he got suckered, but feels it's best to trudge on regardless.

Not necessarily. You're overlooking the power of good ol' cognitive dissonance.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kylith wrote: »
    I would agree with you that none of them believes in the bible, or in their god, at all. I think that their actions regarding the recent scandals is proof of this.
    the PP in my parents' parish expressed his astonishment (during his sermon at midday mass on a sunday, so it was not an aside to a parishioner) that the congregation have not organised something like a boycott of the church, by refusing to attend mass for one week, or the like. a lot of priests have no time for the church authorities, but have a sincere belief in the catholic god.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,443 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Weak-ass pseudo-rebellion. Why didn't any of the parishioners ask him why he was content to hang onto his post? Are they that cowed? (rhetorical question. of course they are.)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

the PP in my parents' parish expressed his astonishment (during his sermon at midday mass on a sunday, so it was not an aside to a parishioner) that the congregation have not organised something like a boycott of the church, by refusing to attend mass for one week, or the like. a lot of priests have no time for the church authorities, but have a sincere belief in the catholic god.

Dawkins set up The Clergy Project to help clergy who no longer believe. It can be very difficult for a priest to 'come out', for obvious reasons.

There's no way that the pope believes in the bible, but he's enjoying all the fame and stardom that goes with being a pope on tour. This man has climbed the holy ladder of success and now finds himself 'The Head Honcho', 'The Big Cheese', 'The Don'.

Personally, I find it hard to differentiate between The Queen being chauffeured past working class flag wavers, and The Pope being chauffeured past working class flag wavers. I would love more transparency in both, but there's plenty of folks who are in wondrous awe at the mystery involved, even though they're treated like mushrooms. /sigh

Advertisement