Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counselor Troi- annoying.

Options
  • 26-07-2013 7:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭

Just watching repeats of STNG on Sffy-Troi is getting to me. A number of reasons

First-she always states the bleeding obvious
    Secondly-She adds nothing to the action-never shapes it/She just comments
    Thirdly-She is so American in that they have an obsession with counselling. Are there actual Psychotherapists on Ships today-on the Bridge??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I didn't find her that annoying, she was a fairly unobtrusive, unassuming character. What I did find annoying though was the way she played Riker for Worf and vice versa, lame behaviour. She was a 90s American, I like 90s America, having a ship's counsellor, we might laugh at it today but it's really quite a forward thinking idea. Mental health is equally as important if not moreso than physical health.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I actually don't find her as annoying as people do. I don't get why Counselling is its own department, surely it comes under a branch of Medical?

Episodes around her and Lwxana *shivers* were the worst though

Sometimes her dialog is pretty annoying....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

As a young lad watching it she was quite a nice character to have hanging around the place tbh :)

That said most episodes based around her were cringeworthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

She's a voice of reason, allowing others to say what they are feeling etc.

Didn't like her as a charcter either, but she allows the masculine characters remain seen as such.

I.e. Picard doesn't look demasculanised, which wouldn't sit well with the masses.

P.S. Picard is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

She was hot, who cares if she was annoying! Although I had a thing for the doctor, ooh yeh, and no, not Dr Pulaski!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

So American? She's a British actor. She was actually hired for Denise Cosby's role but Roddenberry swapped them. She was a bit naff at times but bear in mind the show was a product of the eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Whatever happened to her Russian(ish) accent from the first season? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

she was eye candy,tasha was my big crush as a teen,i took it hard when she died

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I never minded her. Plus, 'Face of the Enemy' in TNG's 6th season is one of my fave episodes of the series and Troi is at the centre of it. Definitely in my top 10 fave episodes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭Lockedout

Looking at it again-DR Pulaski was a good character better than Beverley who was a bit wooden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Lockedout wrote: »
    Looking at it again-DR Pulaski was a good character better than Beverley who was a bit wooden

Completely agree. Pulaski was a good, interesting character and well acted. She was also given some interesting stories in her one short year and handled them well; on the holodeck with Sherlock Holmes comes to mind straight away. Always loved that episode and her in it. Her relationship with Data was always good fun. She had her own opinions and a bit of depth and sense of history to her.

Annoys me that she's not better remembered or liked :-)

Beverly Crusher, on the other hand, was never believable as a doctor, a mother or as that kinda-sometime-maybe [awkward] love interest for Picard. A badly written and badly realised character. Just there to ask "what are nanites?" when the time is right.

Troi started badly... very badly actually... but I think she became a solid and likeable character from around mid-way though. Progressing through the ranks, relationship with Worf, etc., and a decent sort of comedy at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭Lockedout

I think at the time I wanted Beverly back because she was better looking. I was an adolescent after all but having just watched Pulaski's year I think she was the better actor. I think the producers removed Crusher because they were, rightly, not impressed with her acting. However Pulaski (Cant recall actors name) was not happy on the show and Patrick Stewart wanted Crusher back.

I think fans just like a family concept of the show and didnt like crusher just being removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

My only problem with Pulaski is they wanted to make a female McCoy. I do agree Crusher was badly written, that and she gave birth to.....him...

I do love the episode where Troi loses her abilities, she was quite the bitch :D Who else could tell Picard he had idea what he was talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

IvySlayer wrote: »
    My only problem with Pulaski is they wanted to make a female McCoy. I do agree Crusher was badly written, that and she gave birth to.....him...

I do love the episode where Troi loses her abilities, she was quite the bitch :D Who else could tell Picard he had idea what he was talking about!

I thought what made Pulaski interesting was she was the only woman on the show, to date, that was not there just as eye candy, her story lines and disagreements with Picard annoyed fans and Picard - which in itself made her keep things moving. Apparently I saw somewhere the actress was not made comfortable on the set! I remember at the time I wanted Bev back thou....

Getting back to Troi... her story lines could be pretty bad, but Picard seemed to need her voice of reason - as someone else pointed out also. Loved the episode where she was made ware a proper uniform - and suddenly people moved their eyes up to her face to see what her character was all about...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Whatever happened to her Russian(ish) accent from the first season? :pac:

That was meant to be Israeli. She said it herself in an interview.

I didnt find her that annoying. A few more episodes where she takes control would have been nice, and less, or should I say, zero episodes with her mother.

Considering she was psychic, its not surprising Picard had her on the bridge. He would want the best people to do the job. If there was a crewman with a particular ability he would have had them interning on the bridge. Look at Wesley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Sparko

I thought her telepathic abilities were quite undefined, it bugged me when she could read people through the viewscreen, regardless of the actual distance involved.

syklops wrote: »
    That was meant to be Israeli. She said it herself in an interview.

Israeli? Sheesh :D

Goodshape wrote: »
    Beverly Crusher, on the other hand, was never believable as a doctor, a mother or as that kinda-sometime-maybe [awkward] love interest for Picard. A badly written and badly realised character. Just there to ask "what are nanites?" when the time is right.

I worked in Forbidden Planet many years ago, and at one point Gates McFadden did a signing in the old shop on Dawson Street, and she was an absolute primadonna c*nt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

and she was an absolute primadonna c*nt.

Ugh, really?

Is that "ugh, was she really?" or "ugh, you misogynistic pig, how dare you use such language about my beloved Dr. Crusher"? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

IvySlayer wrote: »
    . I don't get why Counselling is its own department,...

afair she was Picard's "what are the aliens feeling/thinking" advisor with the counsellor work more on the side

Advertisement