Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop solely for the TV

Options
  • 26-07-2013 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi there. I already have a good laptop. However, I am looking for a laptop (cheapish) to keep permanently connected to the TV.

I want one that can take full advantage of the 1080p res of the tele via HDMI.

My questions are, does it need to be a good laptop/graphics card to play the full 1080p out through the HDMI/TV (or is the graphics card even involved here).

Any particular reccomendations?

Basically all i need the laptop to do is play HD files at 1080p/browse the internet/play youtube.

I don't want one of those media players really.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Just out of interest would you not be better getting one of those hdd's that you can connect to a tv and play the files from. As for surfing the net on the tv maybe something that mirrors your smartphone on the screen. Or a smart tv, 32" smart tv's can be just as cheap as a laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Better yet, pick up a Chromecast or Raspberry Pi instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

+1 for the Raspberry Pi and xbmc

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I have a raspberry pi they are good.. I also built a HTPC cost me €400 although you could do it for less i added a few extras like an SSD n stuff.. Have it permanly attached to the tv..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Laptops make poor HTPC choices because of fan noise and you're paying money for portability and a screen you won't use.

Your choices range from the $35 Chromecast (requires addtl tablet or PC interface) all the way up to something like the Mac Mini. For most peoples usage, the Apple TV is one of the better fits, but you can also get a Google TV if you want to use your TV for surfing (not my cup of tea)

• Advertisement
Advertisement