Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KBC Current Account

Options
  • 26-07-2013 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Looks like we're getting closer to the announcement of the KBC Current Accounts!

Strange though that they want us to call in to register...

http://www.kbc.ie/currentaccount

I'm holding back from moving to PTSB to see what KBC has to offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Just got off the phone with them and September is the launch month. No details yet but I registered. They will get back to me towards the end of August with all the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Amik wrote: »
    I'm holding back from moving to PTSB to see what KBC has to offer.

I would be surprised if KBC beet the PTSB offer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Fungus wrote: »
    I would be surprised if KBC beet the PTSB offer.

Much bigger bank with deeper pockets to try and get market share, just not big here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If they don't beat PTSB (and realistically that means no strings attached free banking) then there's no point in them even bothering as they will win no customer base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Maybe they will pay a few percent interest and you have to keep min balance of €2,000 - i'm just guessing but they really need to at least match PTSB. They hardly want just a few thousand customers.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to a very clever business strategy from KBC. I've never been as excited about current account banking as I am now -- sad but true. :P Hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Looking forward to a very clever business strategy from KBC. I've never been as excited about current account banking as I am now -- sad but true. :P Hahah

How is KBCs online banking?

hognef wrote: »
    How is KBCs online banking?
    From what I hear/read it's pretty awful for their savings products anyway. You can basically check balances and that's it. No withdrawals etc.

murphaph wrote: »
    From what I hear/read it's pretty awful for their savings products anyway. You can basically check balances and that's it. No withdrawals etc.

Yeah, but it has been getting better.

The no withdrawals issue will clearly be fixed with the new current account.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed - their current internet banking is probably an unfair yardstick to measure by as it was designed for an entirely different product.

• Advertisement

Just got off the phone with them and September is the launch month. No details yet but I registered. They will get back to me towards the end of August with all the info.

- Just wondering - are you already a customer of KBC Bank? Did they say they would ring,e-mail or post to you the info at the end of August?

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Just wondering - are you already a customer of KBC Bank? Did they say they would ring,e-mail or post to you the info at the end of August?

No, not a customer at present. I just heard they were going to start offering current accounts and have been checking their site from time to time (want to get out of Ulster Bank). I'd prefer KBC to PTSB as it has a big parent.

They promised a mailing and phone call towards the end of the month. I'll let you know when I hear from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Hi
    Heard KBC are introducing current accounts to the ROI. Any news on this i.e. free banking etc

Thanks

Launches early September 2013.

Some speculation on the offering but nothing concrete.

KBC will need to put together a better offer that is better than PTSB to attract customers in any significant number.

Launch is imminent of current account product.

KBC are charging quarterly fees :mad::mad: There is no way out of the quarterly fees :mad:

KBC are also charging 30 cent per transaction. The only way around that is to keep a whopping 2,000 EUR in your account each and every day.

Total joke. I am sticking with PTSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

KBC are charging quarterly fees :mad::mad: There is no way out of the quarterly fees :mad:

KBC are also charging 30 cent per transaction. The only way around that is to keep a whopping 2,000 EUR in your account each and every day.

Good luck in attracting customers with that. That's even more expensive than AIB.

Yeah, no one in their right mind would choose KBC over PTSB. Really disappointing.

I haven't received a call/mail yet but if that's true it's an enormous letdown. Feel silly that I thought a bank would give me a great offer. :P

Not a very competitve offer, for sure. We'll have to see if they tweak it later if the take up isn't great.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ivan.Drago

It's a €6 quarterly fee. On top of that you get charged for ATM withdrawals (30c), but this can be avoided if you get cashback as debit card transactions are free. All online banking transactions are free also. No facility to lodge cash though to your account though - it's all electronic.
    If you make no ATM withdrawals you can get away with the €6 given that dirct debits, standing orders, online money transfers are free.

All fees can be avoided by keeping €2,000 in your account at all times throughout the quarter.

Ivan.Drago wrote: »
    All fees can be avoided by keeping €2,000 in your account at all times throughout the quarter.

Nope. As per The Irish Times, the NCA website and the AAM website, the 6 EUR in quarterly fees cannot be avoided.

The ATM fees can be avoided by loosing out on opportunity interest by keeping 2,000 EUR in your account each and every day.

From the Irish Times.
    Customers who maintain a minimum daily balance of €2,000 will pay a maximum of €24 a year - charged at €6 a quarter - in account fees.

Dreadful offering. They'll have wasted a lot of money on launching this if they don't revise the fees pronto.

I've just had to delete irrelevant crud. Keep it on topic folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

So. The interest paid on €2000 in a decent savings account would be at least €40 p.a. (@ a rate of 2%). After 33% DIRT, that's €26.80.

At 30 cent per ATM transaction, that's the equivalent of nearly 90 transactions. Hence, if you make ATM withdrawals less frequently than once every four days, you're better off sticking the €2000 in a savings account.

hognef wrote: »
    So. The interest paid on €2000 in a decent savings account would be at least €40 p.a. (@ a rate of 2%). After 33% DIRT, that's €26.80.

At 30 cent per ATM transaction, that's the equivalent of nearly 90 transactions. Hence, if you make ATM withdrawals less frequently than once every four days, you're better off sticking the €2000 in a savings account.

You're better off opening a PTSB current account than do either of the above options.

Also, you need to maintain in excess of €2,000 to prevent ever failing below €2,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

disappointing to say the least. Do KBC think they will actually get any customers from this offering or are they living in cloud cuckoo land?????

I'm not paying BOI €20 per year so I'm certainly not paying KBC €24 per year. I held off switching to PTSB or EBS until KBC released details of current account. I need to decide now - PTSB or EBS.

KBC have actually now put me off even taking out savings accounts with them. I'll stick with state savings from the NTMA.

• Advertisement

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I'll stick with state savings from the NTMA.

The NTMA have dreadful returns for most of their products.

Advertisement