Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nextDART Android APP

Options
  • 26-07-2013 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I published a few months ago a free app to see when the next DART is arriving to your station. I know there are a few of these apps, but this one is quite straight forward and really fast, it only needs two clicks to show you the same as what you see when you go to the station platform.

This app is using the Irish Rail API, so the info displayed it is quite accurate.

Get it here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.egrapps.nextdart

Hope you find it useful!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Looks good. A bit confused by the ordering of stations though. Especially when you get to howth junction. seems a bit random after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

1. The font (typeface) you're using is tiny, the app is completely unusable for anyone on the go who needs reading glasses.

2. I use a very limited number of Dart stations so I want a 'favourites' list which includes trains going in one direction only. For example, every time I use the Dart from Dun Laoghaire, I am only heading towards town so what I need is a favourites list which includes 'Dun Laoghaire northbound' as a station and I want the information presented in a font that's big enough to read without glasses.

Using the 'Next Train Ireland' app, I click (1) on 'Favourites', then click (2) on 'Dun Laoghaire northbound' and I can then see a list of the next few trains in a large and readable typeface.

Using your app, I click (1) on the arrow to get the list of stations, I then have to swipe the screen a few times to scroll to Dun Laoghaire, I click (2) on Dun Laoghaire, I click (3) the 'Done' button, I click (4) the 'Check' button and then I am presented with a list of northbound and southbound trains in a font that I can't read without putting on my glasses.

I see that you can set one station to the default but the app needs a favourites option.

So on the number of clicks and the readability of the data I'm afraid your app is a fail.

alansugar.jpg?w=300&h=222

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Not too sure about the legibility. I have terrible eyesight and i find it very clear. Agreed on the favourites though

• Registered Users Posts: 8 edgr

Beano, you are right the north stations should be something like this:

Malahide->Portmarnock->Clongrinfinn->Howth->Sutton->Bayside->Howth Junction

coylemj, I did this app for my personal use and then thought other people may found it interesting and I decided to publish it, I tried to keep it really simple as there are others with those features that I don't really need. At the moment are 800+ users and they are using it in a daily basis. Anyway I will have a look in your points there and see what can I do about them, legibility first.

Thanks to both ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Thanks for posting about your app.

I just downloaded it there and found it useful. Much faster than the CIE monster (although that's not surprising).

By the way, does it use the timetabled departure times or the real expected times (as displayed on the red boards on the platforms)?

I like the look and minimal number of clicks. I'd be far more positive than Coyle. I do think the text needs to be larger. How about moving the search button to below the station dial window, allowing for a larger font size? You could use two buttons, one for north bound and one for south bound (maybe placed on above the other).

I'd also agree that some sort of favourites would be handy. Could you set default settings so it displays the info you're likely to need for the given time of day. For example, if I usually travel north from Blackrock in the morning and south from Tara st in the afternoon, could you make it so on opening it shows there departure times for the relevant times of the day, so if I open the app in the morning it automatically shows me northbounds from Blackrock and southbounds from town when I open it in the afternoon. If I then need to adjust the settings for a different trip I could do so.

I'll be using it in the meantime and I'll be interested in any developments!

• Advertisement

Yes the app uses the real expected times, I'll keep you updated for the next version.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OP I don't use the dart much but I downloaded it to see what the above fuss was about. Ok the next may be small for some - but I think its beautiful design personally! Favourites should be on your raodmap - maybe txt size option - but I say fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 theaulddubliner

Site and app seem to be down at the moment - looks great from the previews.

Thanks for letting me know, unfortunately my hosting provider Digiweb has been down for the past few days, they were supposed to fix it yesterday but it is still down, hopefully on Monday it comes back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

edgr wrote: »
    Thanks for letting me know, unfortunately my hosting provider Digiweb has been down for the past few days, they were supposed to fix it yesterday but it is still down, hopefully on Monday it comes back to normal.

DigiWeb are absolute clowns and this is speaking from painful, painful experience.

Go elsewhere - there's no way you should have to wait so long for a problem to be fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Hi edgr,

Regular appreciative use of your app here. I see the look changed. I have to say I much preferred the look of the old one and the fact that you didn't need to choose a direction. I know you might not be inclined to change it back, but wanted to give feedback.

Thanks

Advertisement