Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd line on phone line

Options
  • 25-07-2013 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

i am currently recieving my personal phone and broadband from vodafone, i am wondering if it is possible to set up a second line for a short time, how much would it cost roughly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

kearney121 wrote: »
    i am currently recieving my personal phone and broadband from vodafone, i am wondering if it is possible to set up a second line for a short time, how much would it cost roughly

Are you talking about a landline?

I think there may be a contract for a new line.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Persuming you have a landline, you would have to get a new line installed. If you get eircom to install one you would have a 12 month contract. Most would have contracts nowadays unfortunately.

The other is to setup a VoIP phone service on your broadband connection. That way you wouldn't need to pay line rental. Providers like goldfish.ie or blueface.ie should suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kearney121

well the only reason i wanted to do it was to be able to port my existing number to blueface.ie the voip provider, anyone have any suggestions to do so

well the only reason i wanted to do it was to be able to port my existing number to blueface.ie the voip provider, anyone have any suggestions to do so

You would need to get Vodafone to install another line and setup broadband on that line. Then port your other line to Blueface.

The other option is to port the line and use a pay as you go mobile broadband or fixed wireless and then once ported reactivate the line with broadband.

Remember though if you port the number and your in a contract you will get a cancellation fee.

Porting numbers takes 24-48 hours, but may take up to 10 working days. When you port it Blueface will cancel all services on that line including broadband. Don't cancel your account while porting though.

Complicated I know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Mr. G wrote: »
    Persuming you have a landline, you would have to get a new line installed. If you get eircom to install one you would have a 12 month contract. Most would have contracts nowadays unfortunately.

The other is to setup a VoIP phone service on your broadband connection. That way you wouldn't need to pay line rental. Providers like goldfish.ie or blueface.ie should suffice.

Yup...We use Blueface.

Have the phone line rental with a 021 number,and a free 076 number for €12.29 a month.

That includes free Unlimited Landline calls to Ireland and the UK.

Can't get much better.

• Advertisement

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Yup...We use Blueface.

Have the phone line rental with a 021 number,and a free 076 number for €12.29 a month.

That includes free Unlimited Landline calls to Ireland and the UK.

Can't get much better.

Only thing is is that there's a 12 month contract with it. I've used them for years but I don't like the way they changed their terms without notification..

There's some other providers mentioned on the voip forum.

The other option is to port the line and use a pay as you go mobile broadband or fixed wireless and then once ported reactivate the line with broadband.

ya that would work, what is fixed wirless

ya that would work, what is fixed wirless

Fixed wireless is broadband using an aerial at the side of your house. Its better then mobile broadband and would be an alternative to ADSL2+ but not VDSL (efibre)

Examples of FW would be Digiweb Metro, Ripplecom etc

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055167684

Only thing is is that there's a 12 month contract with it. I've used them for years but I don't like the way they changed their terms without notification..

There's some other providers mentioned on the voip forum.

Thankfully We never had any major problem with them. We had one or two small issues with settings and things,and they were resolved very quick.

With them over a year now,,so out of contract. Sticking with them for now anyway.

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Thankfully We never had any major problem with them. We had one or two small issues with settings and things,and they were resolved very quick.

With them over a year now,,so out of contract. Sticking with them for now anyway.

What hardware do you have, phone etc, what aditional services are on offer some of them i was told are removed, which do you know of work, is there a good technical support team, and lastly is there ever a problem with lag etc on the phone

• Advertisement

What hardware do you have, phone etc, what aditional services are on offer some of them i was told are removed, which do you know of work, is there a good technical support team, and lastly is there ever a problem with lag etc on the phone

I've been using them for years. Now its connected on a phone system, but works fine with a Linksys PAP2T (2 lines analogue adapter, works fine but is being discontinued). The quality is fine, with regard to downtime it hasn't been down in a while (search through boards and you will see what its like when its down).
    what aditional services are on offer some of them i was told are removed, which do you know of work,

I'm not sure what you mean by this though.

About technical support, they answer the phone quickly and are the same with emails. They are quick to use the excuse when you're using your own equipment saying they don't guarentee it works. Fair enough, there's a lot of different systems but you're pretty much on your own after basic support. They lock the Panasonic phones they sell.

Regarding lag, nope there isn't any at all. Its pretty much instant. I did a setup for someone and staff hadn't a bother at all with it. Its important that your broadband latency is less then 100ms and you have around 100kbps upload and download, with QoS enabled. Its not complicated to setup.

They make it a bit of hassle when you're getting setup. The way they do direct debits is a bit complicated.

The only thing I'd say that is annoying is that the forwarding from the phone doesn't work. You have to do it from the website.

In the end, it works. Most people who experience voip issues experience it as it wasn't setup right.

The Hardware I use is 2 Gigaset A510 cordless phones with a Gigaset N300IP Base Station.

Additional services would be the free 076 number,and I can send and receive faxes via email. (If ever needed)

Only time I ever needed the support services I emailed them,and they got back fast enough and had no problems sorting my problem.

No problems with lag whatsoever.

Personally,the only problem I can see,is if your Broadband is down,,you have no phone either. But I'm more than happy with what I have for now.

I'm not sure what you mean by this though.

On there website they give a link to available services which are included http://www.blueface.ie/services.php , in the services section, however i was told by the sales team that the bitbuz one no longer exists, also would an app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zoiper.android.app&hl=en-GB work on this service anywhere

On there website they give a link to available services which are included http://www.blueface.ie/services.php , in the services section, however i was told by the sales team that the bitbuz one no longer exists, also would an app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zoiper.android.app&hl=en-GB work on this service anywhere

I never used the bitbuzz thing to be honest- I have had no reason to.

Yes, Any SIP software, such as zoiper can be used with Blueface

Yes, Any SIP software, such as zoiper can be used with Blueface
    would i have to be using my home network or would it work anywhere in the world using internet, are you able to do internal calls call another device within my account

would i have to be using my home network or would it work anywhere in the world using internet, are you able to do internal calls call another device within my account

You can make calls from anywhere in the world once the broadband is suitable and provided it is not blocked. VoIP is good in the sense that you can answer as if you are at home as it runs over the net.

You would have to ask Blueface to setup internal extension numbers to ring other devices. I think its up to 5 sip accounts you can have on one residential account. So yes you are.

You can make calls from anywhere in the world once the broadband is suitable and provided it is not blocked.
    would vodafone block it and is landline broadband suitable

would vodafone block it and is landline broadband suitable

Vodafone at home (DSL) broadband don't block voip. I think Vodafone's mobile broadband blocks voip though

Thank you i think yee have sorted all my questions about voip, and found me a solution to my porting issue :)

Advertisement