Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance Help!

Options
  • 25-07-2013 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi I've read over the citizens advice page about RA and I'm still a bit confused on how it works. If anyone could answer a couple of questions I have, I'd be so grateful.
    I am on JB since January, and I have finally found a course that I will be beginning in September, in which I'll be getting BTEA whilst attending.
    I understand that I'm eligible for RA and will be applying for it.
    But what I don't understand is how it works, where does the money go(my account?) and how much does it supplement my rent.

The limit is something like 450 p/m in galway for a single person, the room I'm thinking of taking is 320 p/m.
    I am currently receiving 188 p/w on the JB.
    Can anyone tell me how much roughly will I receive in supplement/rent will I have to pay, under these circumstances?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That €450pm is for a one bed flat, a room in a house is far less.
    You'll have to pay a minimum of €30pw from your welfare payment. You'll also more than likely need to go on the Council housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

snubbleste wrote: »
    That €450pm is for a one bed flat, a room in a house is far less.
    You'll have to pay a minimum of €30pw from your welfare payment. You'll also more than likely need to go on the Council housing list.

The maximum limit for a single person in galway is 280e and a minimum contribution from the applicant of 30e pw

You have to be accepted on to your local authority housing list and be renting by yourself for 6 months privately first

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭matchboxyouth

Thanks for the information. Where do I go to be accepted by my authority housing list. And one other thing, is it not 6 months of the last year renting privately, so for example from this July to last July if I apply now?
    The reason is i moved home from January until now but I hope that the months before that I was renting privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Thanks for the information. Where do I go to be accepted by my authority housing list. And one other thing, is it not 6 months of the last year renting privately, so for example from this July to last July if I apply now?
    The reason is i moved home from January until now but I hope that the months before that I was renting privately.
    Your local county council is your first port of call and apply to accessed for having a housing need ,pretty simple just fill in the forms and supply the requested documents ,
    Not sure about the 6 months check with social welfare directly ,

Advertisement