Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having trouble removing 'ARO 2013' from my laptop

Options
  • 25-07-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi! I recently bought a new Acer laptop and I was told to download Avast Free Antivirus because it's supposedly the best free anti-virus protection program, but when I installed it, another program downloaded alongside it without me realising, and now I can't get rid of it. It's incredibly annoying- it's called 'ARO 2013' and every time I switch the computer on I get a flood of pop-up windows telling me that I need to fix a load of errors on the computer and to hand over my credit card details basically. If I go into Control Panel and try to uninstall it from there, I get an error saying: "File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ARO 2013\unins000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall." I've done a number of scans for malware and viruses in an attempt to try to remove it that way but that hasn't worked either. Does anyone know what I could possibly do in order to get rid of it? Thanks a million! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

daysleeper wrote: »
    Hi! I recently bought a new Acer laptop and I was told to download Avast Free Antivirus because it's supposedly the best free anti-virus protection program, but when I installed it, another program downloaded alongside it without me realising, and now I can't get rid of it. It's incredibly annoying- it's called 'ARO 2013' and every time I switch the computer on I get a flood of pop-up windows telling me that I need to fix a load of errors on the computer and to hand over my credit card details basically. If I go into Control Panel and try to uninstall it from there, I get an error saying: "File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ARO 2013\unins000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall." I've done a number of scans for malware and viruses in an attempt to try to remove it that way but that hasn't worked either. Does anyone know what I could possibly do in order to get rid of it? Thanks a million! :)

Sounds like bit of malware/ransomware i would first go to cnet.com and from there download malwarebytes when this is done run a full scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

I would reboot my laptop from an earlier date, i had the bad image virus and downloaded a couple of well known malware antivirus they showed malware but none would remove it.

The only way i got rid of it was starting my laptop from an earlier day

Advertisement