Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thai Massage Practice

Options
  • 25-07-2013 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all!

I'm quite new to Kildare so don't really know anyone around here, but I studied Traditional Thai Massage in Thailand and would like to start working as a Thai massage therapist but I really need people to practice on!

Not knowing anyone makes this fairly tricky!
    Does anyone have any genuine suggestions on how to get people to practice on? I might just make a thread offering free massage... Maybe I'll find someone that way!

Just to make that clear to the mods, I'm not advertising for business :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'd like to try it op, where in Kildare are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I'd be interested also. My Wife is Thai, but She knows nothing much about the art of massage:)

I agree with Beertons though, where in kildare are You located?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thaitherapy

Thanks for the replies guys!

I'm out near Donadea forest park. I can work from Breathing Place Yoga in Clane, but ideally I'd be using my own room here near Donadea.
    If anyone is interested though just send me a pm and we can exchange contact details.
    I didn't really expect to have interest from this thread, so I didn't explain anything of what the treatment is.

One of the major things is that it is performed completely clothed, so doesn't have any of the 'strokes' that people associate typically with a massage. It is very much based on compression and stretching.

The following video is an amazing example from a real master;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Lhp0QWafU

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Looks cool. And kinda sore.

beertons wrote: »
    Looks cool. And kinda sore.

Haha, not at all ;)

Thai Massage really is a deep tissue massage so now and again you'll have a tender spot on the legs maybe, but that's what the compression is all about. It allows the areas of tension to slowly release and get some fresh blood in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The following video is an amazing example from a real master;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Lhp0QWafU

He picked a nice handy light weight subject for the video. I imagine it can't be easy for 9 or 10 stone therapist to do similar work on a 15 stone weight subject.

Joe Public wrote: »
    He picked a nice handy light weight subject for the video. I imagine it can't be easy for 9 or 10 stone therapist to do similar work on a 15 stone weight subject.

Hey Joe!

You're absolutely right, and I know we were trained with variations of techniques which were more suitable for larger people, flexible people and so on.
    In Thailand you'll see very small Thai women massaging large western guys and they handle it fine. Seemingly with experience it's much easier to know just how to control the client and keep it safe for both.
    For the average Irish man the focus is on compression and light stretching...not so much of the showmanship you see in a lot of the videos ;)

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I'm over 15 stone and I got murdered by a small Thai girl in Bangkok last month. When getting the massage she asked "big or small power?" I said big, it was seriously sore but strangely satisfying! Next time I got the "small power". 2 hours for about a fiver, serious value

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Did anybody try out this local massage? Was thinking of giving it a go...

Thanks
    W.

Advertisement