Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Facebook Business Page Format. Help!

Options
  • 25-07-2013 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi Boarders,

I have recently taken over an already established Facebook Business page but it is not like any of the other pages I have previously/currently manage which float from my own personal account.

Differences

A) it has a separate username/password login, while having the appearance of a normal business page when I look at it from my own account.

B) When I liked the page the number of likes went up but my name did not appear so I could not make myself an admin.

C) There is no 'Home' button or search bar at the top.

D) I have managed to look at other pages through the current likes but can only share posts and am not able to like or comment on them.

I have gone through the settings and there seems to be nothing there to adjust any of these issues.

I have posted a question on Facebook discussion but no answer as yet.

Have any of you come across this similar and frustrating issue?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Ben Moore wrote: »
    Have any of you come across this similar and frustrating issue?
    The page has been set up with a "business account" instead of with a normal profile. This comes with a lot of negative impacts and, sadly, very few positives (doesn't require 25 fans for a vanity URL and doesn't need someone to set up a profile - both of which have negligible value).

You should still be able to add yourself as an admin though, which will work around the issues. It's very tough to troubleshoot problems with things like this remotely, so other than saying stick with trying to add yourself there's not much we can do. In the majority of cases issues with adding admins tend to be related to the privacy settings of the account being added. If your personal account is even slightly locked down (I forget which settings can be relevant here - basically anything that restricts your email addy or the visibility of what pages you like), open it up temporarily and try re-adding the admin role. Once you gain access, you can revert your privacy settings to their originals again.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

Thanks Paul, nice to know i wasn't going mad!

Do let us know if you manage to add your normal profile account.

A quick workaround to the 'privacy' issues that can hinder it is to set up a dummy account with zero privacy settings, add that as an admin, befriend that account with your real profile and then add the real profile as an admin (being friends with the other admin cuts through most of the issues of privacy). You can then remove the dummy account completely, so no issues there. A few other workarounds for it too if you google it, but it's not something that happens often enough for me to remember them off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 RobGJ

It's a frustrating problem which I've come across before alright. When a page is set up like that the only options really are the ones outlined by Paul or what worked for me was to create a proper "business page" and start from scratch. I gave notifications to the page which was being shut down to try usher likers to the new one. Thankfully for me the initial page wasn't too bedded in so it wasn't too painful a shift which has worked out for the better in the end - hopefully it will for you too..

Thanks everyone, nothing seems to have worked, and what is even more frustrating is that other people have liked the page since I started posting and their likes are appearing but mine remain invisible.

Faceblocked.

• Advertisement

Have you tried the dummy account?

Set up a dummy account with zero privacy settings and everything completely open/visible. Like the page with that. Set that account as an admin. Befriend that account with your real profile. Use the dummy account to set your real account as an admin (if it's a friend they don't need a direct connection to the page). Once that's done, you can remove the dummy account as an admin and delete the account completely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

RobGJ wrote: »
    It's a frustrating problem which I've come across before alright. When a page is set up like that the only options really are the ones outlined by Paul or what worked for me was to create a proper "business page" and start from scratch. I gave notifications to the page which was being shut down to try usher likers to the new one. Thankfully for me the initial page wasn't too bedded in so it wasn't too painful a shift which has worked out for the better in the end - hopefully it will for you too..

You know you can port a business account thats been setup as a personal account to a business page and all the friends get changed to likes

miju wrote: »
    You know you can port a business account thats been setup as a personal account to a business page and all the friends get changed to likes
    The discussion here is in relation to business pages which were created via business accounts, therefore lacking some features, so the porting of accounts to pages isn't really relevant. It's how to get normal functionality for the page, which requires a normal (non business) profile to be admin which is where the OP is having issues.

Bingo Paul! Much appreciated!

Advertisement