Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Thief Found! - What to do?

Options
  • 25-07-2013 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I recently had a bike stolen from my back garden. It was quite a unique bike and I'm almost positive that I've tracked the thief down on Gumtree. Only thing now is that I'm worried about the fact that they will know where I live if I press charges as the bike was in my garden.... anyone have any experience/advice on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

mudd123 wrote: »
    I recently had a bike stolen from my back garden. It was quite a unique bike and I'm almost positive that I've tracked the thief down on Gumtree. Only thing now is that I'm worried about the fact that they will know where I live if I press charges as the bike was in my garden.... anyone have any experience/advice on this?

There's a huge jump between stroking a bike and intimidating a witness. It never happens.
    Report it and get your own bike back.
    Besides, the thief expects you to report the theft but has no idea how he got caught. For all he knows the guards were watching the ad sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Go to the Garda, let them help you out -they took a trip to Wexford with a friend of mine in recent weeks to recover a bike.

For all you know, the guy on Gumtree could have got it from someone else, so might not know where you live...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

mudd123 wrote: »
    I recently had a bike stolen from my back garden. It was quite a unique bike and I'm almost positive that I've tracked the thief down on Gumtree.

Do you have the bikes serial number, or a security marking on the bike?
    Could you tell it apart from another identical bike, eg. distinct scratches, stickers etc on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Sad state of affairs that the owner of stolen property is questioning getting it back for fear of reprisal.

Nothing against you OP, just the way of the world at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Act fast before he sells it for fkuk all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Friend of mine spotted his stolen bike for sale online. Reported it to the Gardai, and it took 8 days before they did anything about it. By this time the bike had been sold on. He did get it back eventually, but took over 3 weeks from when he first reported it.
    If you have already reported it stolen, and have definitive proof that it is yours, then my advice would be to contact the seller and arrange to meet. Walk into the nearest Garda station and tell them your bike was stolen and you know exactly where it is. Ask a Garda to accompany you to the meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mudd123

I have reported it stolen and attempted to call the number given in the ad but got no answer. I will have to try again later! The advertisement went up at 6pm on the day it was stolen (yesterday) so hopefully I will still have time to get it before it is sold on. It is a custom fixie with a few distinguishing features so I should be able to prove that it's mine! thanks for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Well, if they're not answering, maybe they've sold it already and ditched the phone SIM card. I imagine anyone in that line of business would use disposable PAYG sim cards.

DoneDeal might be able to give the IP address they used, if the guards do get involved. If you're lucky it could be their home address, if you're unlucky, an internet cafe or free WiFi spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Have you got a link to the ad? Couldn't find an ad with fixed gear bikes on Gumtree from yesterday.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Have you got a link to the ad? Couldn't find an ad with fixed gear bikes on Gumtree from yesterday.

Do not post any links here, and do not provide any further information which may allow posters to identify the item/seller in question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Well, if they're not answering, maybe they've sold it already and ditched the phone SIM card. I imagine anyone in that line of business would use disposable PAYG sim cards.
    One would hope so, but on balance, this isn't Don Corleone here, he steals fixies from peoples gardens.

Go down your local Garda station and report the theft. Follow up every day with a call, "have you recovered my bike yet?" Keep a log of the calls, you may need it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Really hope you get your bike back OP. Keep us posted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

Good luck, mudd123!

Let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭pegdrums

Dont want to hi-jack this thread but Im very curious to find out how you got on. We had 3 bikes stolen out of our garden shed a week ago and Ive been checkin adverts, done deal,buy and sell and gumtree twice a day and not seen any of them :(
    Thought about calling the Gards that came to the housebut assumed theyd say "If we find it we'll let ya know" or something.
    Hope youve got good news

Advertisement