Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fernhill management

Options
  • 24-07-2013 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all. First time poster, long term lurker. I have a question regarding the fernhill estate on the north circular road. I have put an offer on and paid a deposit on a house in fernhill. At the time of viewing I asked who did the maintenance on the estate and was told it was the council but now as the solicitor has been going through the paperwork he says the estate was not handed over to the council and that this will impede my purchase of the house. Does anyone on here possibly know how the estate is maintained as it always has nicely trimmed grass. Also does anyone know why the council would not be looking after this estate as its twenty five or so years old? Many thanks for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

pabarret wrote: »
    Hi all. First time poster, long term lurker. I have a question regarding the fernhill estate on the north circular road. I have put an offer on and paid a deposit on a house in fernhill. At the time of viewing I asked who did the maintenance on the estate and was told it was the council but now as the solicitor has been going through the paperwork he says the estate was not handed over to the council and that this will impede my purchase of the house. Does anyone on here possibly know how the estate is maintained as it always has nicely trimmed grass. Also does anyone know why the council would not be looking after this estate as its twenty five or so years old? Many thanks for any input.

Who told you that the Council looked after the maintenance of the estate?

Either way, why would this impede the private sale / purchase, houses are bought & sold every day in estates that are 'not taken in charge' by the Council

The Council aren't in any rush to take in charge any estate's because it's a cost, they will not cut the green areas either in estate's that are taken in charge but if there is a Res Assoc, they can get a grant towards the cost of getting a private contractor to look after landscaping.

Until the estate is taken in charge, the original developer is responsible for the estate but he may not be around anymore

If you are happy with the house / location etc then buy it, is it possible your solicitor is bull****ting you?

I've bought two houses in estates that haven't been taken in charge by the Council, it's not a legal issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pabarret

Of course my solicitor isn't bull****ing me. What purpose could it serve for him to do that.

The issue is that no one is legally responsible for the services on an estate if the developers bond no longer applies and the council hasn't taken it over.

Banks will not lend for a house built on an estate where it nobody's legal obligation to maintain the services. That's how it can impede a private sale.

Does anyone on here live in or own a house in fernhill by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The issue is that no one is legally responsible for the services on an estate if the developers bond no longer applies and the council hasn't taken it over.

Banks will not lend for a house built on an estate where it nobody's legal obligation to maintain the services. That's how it can impede a private sale. All banks? Can you ring other mortgage providers to see if they have this condition also?
    You didn't mention the lender at all in your first post so the implication was that it was a legal impedement which it's not. Your lender has this as a condition attached to drawing down on your mortgage.

I'd suggest knocking on a few doors in Fernhill and asking the residents who cuts the grass as you are interested in buying there. The answer will be either 1. City Council 2. Private contractor paid for by the residents or original developer or 3. Resident(s) themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭manna452121

You could contact Tom Hickey,he sold this house and lives on the estate. http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=706591

• Registered Users Posts: 5 muireannwalsh

Hi, I was just wondering whether you were successful in getting financing from the bank? I'm in the same situation, trying to buy a house in an estate not taken in charge. The estate is tiny , 12 houses.. Completed in 1980's and the residents never bothered to request takeover from the council. I've confirmed with the planning department that this is the only reason they haven't taken it in charge.
    Thanks a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 pabarret

Yeah, I got the finance, wasn't as much of an issue as I thought it would be hope yours works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 muireannwalsh

Yeah, I got the finance, wasn't as much of an issue as I thought it would be hope yours works out for you.

Thanks a million, that's good to hear... Just waiting to hear back from the bank so fingers crossed!

Advertisement