Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demand for Connacht Farmland?

Options
  • 24-07-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I know that the prices have gone down substantially, but is there still demand for land in areas like Letrim/Mayo/Roscommon at these lower prices, or is there an oversupply of farm lands in Connacht?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

stainluss wrote: »
    I know that the prices have gone down substantially, but is there still demand for land in areas like Letrim/Mayo/Roscommon at these lower prices, or is there an oversupply of farm lands in Connacht?
    I dont think there will ever be an oversupply of land in Ireland .
    Seven acres went to auction a couple of weeks ago beside us . Overgrown bog at best is what id call it , with no chance of planning on it .
    Two farmers and a fella with two ponies bid it up until the pony man got it for 77000 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

There's just no land going up for public auction around here. Majority of land is sold by private treaty so this doesn't add into the average prices that you see. There's no cheap land to be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

reilig wrote: »
    Majority of land is sold by private treaty so this doesn't add into the average prices that you see.

Thanks for your response.
    How would that be done? Via an estate agent is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Is there anyone that would seriously think about long term leasing to expand? I know that if I was thinking of going fulltime, it's the only way that I could see of doing it. If it all goes tits up, just walk away with no big loans to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭limo_100

a farm in cavan very good quality with a dwelling house and lots of old houses suitable for sick cows or rearing calves and a 5bay double slatted shed with 30acres going very cheap at 165 thousand cant believe its so cheap. it be a great farm for someone to start up farming with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

A 53 acre farm in one block with a old yard and a few hay barns with a house in need of moderisation sold recently in South Galway for 430k. Land is good quality. Not a bad price given that 1 acre sites in the same area were making between 75k to 150k a few years ago!!! (mind you not at any more)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

land down here is feckin mad! even hilly ground near me making 7-10k an acre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Thanks for your response.
    How would that be done? Via an estate agent is it?

Via estate agent or just from person to person. When this is done the value does not be taken into account for the average land price. In county leitrim in 2012 only 4 or 5 farms were sold by public auction!

Advertisement