Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lactation consultant?

Options
  • 24-07-2013 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

not sure where to post this, will try here - mods please move if you have a better place for it ;-)

After a complete breastfeeding disaster the last time round (I managed 7 months, but only through severe pain, bleeding, nipple shields, and supplementary bottles (just goes to show how much I wanted it...)), mainly due to lack of consistent advice and care (and not being able to attend breastfeeding clinics as we don't live in town and I couldnt drive for a while after a section), this time round I am actually looking for someone to help me through the first few days of breastfeeding until it's all established.

So here the question: Can anyone recommend a lactation consultant in the Galway area? :)

Cheers!
    galah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Does your maternity unit have lactation consultants that can help? I don't live in Galway, but my local hospital has about 8 available.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Talk to your PHN,she will have the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MichaelsMrs

Hi ya
    I used Gen Becker (no phone numbers on thread please)
    Really nice woman, like chatting with an old friend!
    Might be worth taking with her about lip and tongue tie. This might have been the cause of some of your discomfort last time.
    Best of luck with breastfeeding your new baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Details of La Leche League, Cuidiu and IBCLC accredited LCs in your area are here

http://www.friendsofbreastfeeding.ie/wp/support-2/support-in-your-area/connacht/

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

I had friends who went to the La Leche meetings in Galway and they found the help invaluable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Cheers everyone!

Moonbeam, our PHN (don't even know her name) is impossible to get through, they only answer the phone for an hour each morning, and you are very lucky to get through to them. :(

I think I met one of the lactation consultants of the hospital the last time, but the problem with the hospital ones is that they simply don't have enough time to help you properly, over an extended period of time, they come in, fumble around your boobs for a bit (sorry sound crude but that's what it seemed like), assume that everything is fine and leave again -and they won't be around when I am back at home...got so much conflicting advice it was unreal.

Plus the fact that I couldnt attend the breastfeeding clinics due to the section didnt help...;-(

I'll ring the LaLeche league people and see what they recommend - classes beforehand are not helping as I won't know what to expect (maybe this one is grand ;-))

again, thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭annamarie2013

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I just on the la leche meetings, I went to some while still pregnant and that was one of the best things I did because I then knew the women who runs them. He told me if I needed any help to just call her, I did end up needing her help after getting home and she was good enough to call out to my house and help me. She stayed for ages just chatting and helping, she got to see a few feeds and was able to give me good advice on what was going wrong and what I was doing right. It made a huge difference, I think a lot of it was just because she genuinely cared about us, she took time out of her day to come and see me and it really meant a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Cuidui breastfeeding counsellers and la leche league leaders are amazing, definitely a resource to make the most of.
    The Associstion of Lactation Consultants in Ireland has a list of IBCLC's (properly qualified LC's) by area.

Advertisement