Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing hurleys on a plane

Options
  • 24-07-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any advice about bringing a few hurleys on a flight to the States? Is it better to bring them in your main luggage or check them in separately as sports equipment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

I had two distinct experiences with aer lingus last summer.
    I checked in in dublin with two hurls strapped to my backpack - not a bother, nothing said.

On the return leg the check in lady took exception to them. Said they have to be contained within the luggage. Luckily enough my bag was long enough to squeeze them in. If I were you I would plan for the second case scenario as the first person may just not have noticed them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

I lashed three hurls through oversized luggage when going from Dublin-Heathrow-Hong Kong-Australia and back, they were waiting for me when I got back either end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm sure its changed a lot since 2001, but many moons ago I had to move to Cork and was flying back regularly to Dublin for club games (midweek evening games, cheap flights). Even back then it really depended on check-in whether they would let you carry them on or not, and occasionally having checked them in they would not turn up in Dublin, on one occasion having had to borrow a hurley I got back to Cork to discover my sticks had been on a European holiday to Paris... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭n32

Thanks lads, should be no bother putting rifle shaped implements through a US Airport Security Scanner.Cant see anything going wrong there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Airlines often have policies about bringing sporting equipment on planes, check the airline policies on baggage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭El Vino

I tried to get on in Cork with a kids hurley for a flight to London, No way they would allow me to take it as Hand Luggage and they initially wanted €20 to check it in. As it only cost €15 there was I wasn't doing this so I said I would bin it. The guy at the desk felt sorry for me and checked it in for free. When I got to Heathrow they had lost it, it turned up 24 hrs later and they couriered it to me. This was a 28" though without a band, cant see you getting on a plane with a banded adult hurley.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 observed

I brought about 20 hurleys from Dublin to Sydney with Etihad a few years ago. I had to check them in through oversized baggage and had no issue getting them through customs at the other end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

To be honest, I think checking them into the hold is the best idea. First, they can be used as a weapon and this is probably likely to be the view of the airline. Secondly, outside of Ireland very few people know what they are - which could explain willabur's experience, the woman in Dublin likely knew what a hurl looked like whilst on the return leg the woman didn't - and are likely to be surprised at seeing someone walking around with what to them could look like a club... just look at the faces on some of the tourists walking around places during Kilkenny when they see the young fellas with hurls on them lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

'Sliothars On A Plane'...I like it, I like it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

n32 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice about bringing a few hurleys on a flight to the States? Is it better to bring them in your main luggage or check them in separately as sports equipment?

Make sure, you have hoops on. With nails sticking out. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement