Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner Permit Renewal Question

Options
  • 24-07-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi!

I passed my provisional test back in 2007 and subsequently left Ireland for 5 years. I just sent off for a renewal today as my old provisional was out of date. Will I now be subject to the new learner permit rules (ie: minimum 12 RSA lessons and more importantly having to wait 6months before sitting the full license) or can I go straight to applying for the full license?

Really just hoping I don't have to wait 6months, understand if I need to take the minimum number of lessons.

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

biggles117 wrote: »
    Hi!

I passed my provisional test back in 2007 and subsequently left Ireland for 5 years. I just sent off for a renewal today as my old provisional was out of date. Will I now be subject to the new learner permit rules (ie: minimum 12 RSA lessons and more importantly having to wait 6months before sitting the full license) or can I go straight to applying for the full license?

Really just hoping I don't have to wait 6months, understand if I need to take the minimum number of lessons.

Thanks very much!

If your old permit expired more then 5 years ago then you will have to start again, you will to do the theory test, an eye test and the 12 EDT driving lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 biggles117

Galadriel wrote: »
    If your old permit expired more then 5 years ago then you will have to start again, you will to do the theory test, an eye test and the 12 EDT driving lessons.

Thanks for the info!! Fortunately the provisional expired in 09 (2 years after I received it in 07) which would make it within the 5 year limit so that side should be ok according to the local Garda station (fingers crossed) but any idea about the 6month side of things?? (assuming I receive a new "learner permit").

Thanks again for your input!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

biggles117 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info!! Fortunately the provisional expired in 09 (2 years after I received it in 07) which would make it within the 5 year limit so that side should be ok according to the local Garda station (fingers crossed) but any idea about the 6month side of things?? (assuming I receive a new "learner permit").

Thanks again for your input!

You are fine so, and you don't need to wait six months! :)

Galadriel wrote: »
    You are fine so, and you don't need to wait six months! :)

AMAZING! You're a legend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Carrickbhoy

Hi i was issued my 2nd provisional on the 20-11-06 and it expired on the 19/11/08 i was just inquiring do i have to sit the theory test again.

• Advertisement

Hi i was issued my 2nd provisional on the 20-11-06 and it expired on the 19/11/08 i was just inquiring do i have to sit the theory test again.

You should be fine - from the application form "http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed Drivers/D201_Learner_Permit_app_form.pdf" as long as it hasn't been expired for more than 5 years its not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Carrickbhoy

Thanks a lot thats some weight off of my mind because i applied for the driving test today and it cost me €85

Advertisement