Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID Tree/Bush please

Options
  • 24-07-2013 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

This tree/bush in my garden has been doing my head in for a good few hours, can not see what it is, my books and internet fail me.

The berries are red when ripe and the birds love it, I do not think it is evergreen, but it does stay green far longer than my elderberry tree.

Thanks a million.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Cotoneaster frigidus or C. cornuba

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shrubs

Looks like a species of cotoneaster to me, possibly cornubia or similar.
    SNOH got there first!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Cotoneaster frigidus 'Cornubia' a fantastic tree for waxwings because most birds don't eat these berries until after Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

:) thanks everyone, was driving me mad so it was. Nice to know what the birds go crazy for.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

new one !!!!!!!!!!

whats this common small tree/shrub please?
    often seen along paths, ditches etc?
    19574925474_bfc3b1cd34_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

Goat willow, Salix caprea. Fluffy seeds are dispersed by the wind and it springs up as an early pioneer species.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Ulmus wrote: »
    Goat willow, Salix caprea. Fluffy seeds are dispersed by the wind and it springs up as an early pioneer species.

On Willows in general - sallies and cracked willow especially - I have noticed in the last few weeks their leaves are dying off - blackening and gone crispy - this is through the hedgerow and in the garden - is this just early autumn signs or is their a dieback disease that affects the Willows?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

Willows are fast-growing but relatively short-lived trees. The summer did seem autumnal but willows get fungal diseases such as black canker which cause die-back.

Advertisement