Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student grant.. which to apply for? estranged parent? HELP

Options
  • 24-07-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I'm 21 years old and want to do a PLC course in September. I'm currently on social welfare for almost a year. I'm not dependant on my parents and While filling out the SUSI grant application it asked me to fill in their details, as i'm not close to them I clicked the "estranged" option where it said I would need to give details from a social worker/garda station etc to prove estrangement as I am under 23. I don't have proof of estrangement other than the fact i have not lived at home for nearly two years so does anyone know where I go from here?

I also dropped out of a course in GMIT in 2010/11 and I did recieve a small fee from the grant then, i'm wondering that that effect my current application?..

thanks for any help

Comments

I'm in a similar situation. Going into second year in college, was a mature dependent last year, but since have not been on good terms with my parents. I have no proof of estrangement and won't be getting any details of their income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I am in a similar situation as well in a sense, I am twenty three and have not lived at home for five years but I am still in contact with my parents. I filled out the Susi application form and I put in my parents income but its a bit unfair that their income is taken into account considering I am financially independent from them. In the additional comments section at the end I described my situation but I don't think that it will do me much good.

It will be some nightmare if I have to put of college for a year because of the way Susi deals with their applicants, like in the real world there is plenty of people who are not dependent on their guardians once they are over eighteen.

Are you only 23 this year? Harsh that being 23 in 2012 would have made you an independent mature student.

I think the only option for me is to try and see if I can make nice with my parents...and send in their info. Joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,873 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi, I'm 21 years old and want to do a PLC course in September. I'm currently on social welfare for almost a year. I'm not dependant on my parents and While filling out the SUSI grant application it asked me to fill in their details, as i'm not close to them I clicked the "estranged" option where it said I would need to give details from a social worker/garda station etc to prove estrangement as I am under 23. I don't have proof of estrangement other than the fact i have not lived at home for nearly two years so does anyone know where I go from here?

I also dropped out of a course in GMIT in 2010/11 and I did recieve a small fee from the grant then, i'm wondering that that effect my current application?..

thanks for any help

If you got a grant in 2010/2011 - yes this will have an effect on your application

I think you may not get a grant for year one of a new course but it depends what level.

If SUSI are saying to prove estrangement you need proof from guards or hse then that is what you need.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,873 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

deisedave wrote: »
    I am in a similar situation as well in a sense, I am twenty three and have not lived at home for five years but I am still in contact with my parents. I filled out the Susi application form and I put in my parents income but its a bit unfair that their income is taken into account considering I am financially independent from them. In the additional comments section at the end I described my situation but I don't think that it will do me much good.

It will be some nightmare if I have to put of college for a year because of the way Susi deals with their applicants, like in the real world there is plenty of people who are not dependent on their guardians once they are over eighteen.

If you are still in contact with your parents then you are not irreconcilably estranged.

It looks to me like you may not be considered an independent mature student until next year.

It depends when your 23rd birthday was.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

If you are still in contact with your parents then you are not irreconcilably estranged.

It looks to me like you may not be considered an independent mature student until next year.

It depends when your 23rd birthday was.

Yeah my birthday is in March so I am two months to late but I don't get why my parents income are taken into account when its five and a half years since I lived with them.

Advertisement