Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardnacassa Avenue, is true is bad street???

Options
  • 24-07-2013 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi.
    Can you tell me with part of Longford town is good place to live. Me and my wife decide to buy a house and we think about Longford town, but we dont know a neighborhood. I check and I know some part of Ardnacassa is bad, but why is look nice and some quiet??? I think ;) Second is Gleann Riada, I hear is the worst place in Longford? Any suggestions??? Please help me. thx :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

onyxiv wrote: »
    Hi.
    Can you tell me with part of Longford town is good place to live. Me and my wife decide to buy a house and we think about Longford town, but we dont know a neighborhood. I check and I know some part of Ardnacassa is bad, but why is look nice and some quiet??? I think ;) Second is Gleann Riada, I hear is the worst place in Longford? Any suggestions??? Please help me. thx :D

I would recommend visiting the areas and seeing for yourself, but...

Ardnacassa Avenue: certain areas have problems with anti-social behaviour and drugs, e.g. Palace Crescent.

Gleann Riada: AVOID! The housing estate was built on marshy ground. The sewerage system wasn't piled when it was being constructed, which has lead to pipes shifting out of position and becoming blocked. This has in turn lead to a build-up of methane gas at certain points, and there have been gas explosions at two separate houses as a result. Residents are currently advised not to light naked flames, and keep windows open at all times for ventilation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Hi.

Does it really have to be in the town? How about the suburbs?? Some nice housing estates out by clonbalt woods. That area is much nicer. Please do not buy a house in Ardnacassa for your own sake!!!! And Gleann Riada, like the last poster said, AVOID!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Onyx2013

I would recommend visiting the areas and seeing for yourself, but...

Ardnacassa Avenue: certain areas have problems with anti-social behaviour and drugs, e.g. Palace Crescent

Hi, I just wanted to give a balanced view as I have lived in Ardnacassa Avenue for the past 10 years and I don't think either of the above posters live in the areas mentioned.

Firstly, while they may be near each other Palace Crescent is not Ardnacassa Avenue (I think the fact they have separate names gives away that obvious fact :P). Living in the lower section of Ardnacassa Avenue I have never experienced any trouble or antisocial behaviour whatsoever over the past 10 years (the only hassle I've experienced is the backlog of cars that seem to accumulate outside of the Department of Social Welfare!)

While it has been well documented by the local press that the area of Palace Crescent has experienced anti-social behaviour I just wanted to point out that it is a separate estate to Ardnacassa Avenue.

The majority of housing estates in Longford town have houses that were bought during the boom solely as a means of rental income for their purchasers and unfortunately a lot of these landlords nowadays aren't bothered (or have no choice) who they rent to, thus I have heard that there is some degree of anti social behaviour in most housing estates in town (this includes areas such as Clonbalt Woods, Prospect Woods, White Linen Woods etc).

As an aside, I do agree with the opinion re the safety issues at Gleann Riada and wouldn't advise purchasing a home there.

Onyx2013 wrote: »
    Hi, I just wanted to give a balanced view as I have lived in Ardnacassa Avenue for the past 10 years and I don't think either of the above posters live in the areas mentioned.

Firstly, while they may be near each other Palace Crescent is not Ardnacassa Avenue (I think the fact they have separate names gives away that obvious fact :P). Living in the lower section of Ardnacassa Avenue I have never experienced any trouble or antisocial behaviour whatsoever over the past 10 years (the only hassle I've experienced is the backlog of cars that seem to accumulate outside of the Department of Social Welfare!)

While it has been well documented by the local press that the area of Palace Crescent has experienced anti-social behaviour I just wanted to point out that it is a separate estate to Ardnacassa Avenue.

The majority of housing estates in Longford town have houses that were bought during the boom solely as a means of rental income for their purchasers and unfortunately a lot of these landlords nowadays aren't bothered (or have no choice) who they rent to, thus I have heard that there is some degree of anti social behaviour in most housing estates in town (this includes areas such as Clonbalt Woods, Prospect Woods, White Linen Woods etc).

As an aside, I do agree with the opinion re the safety issues at Gleann Riada and wouldn't advise purchasing a home there.

Well, the key phrase in my original post was 'certain areas'.

And while Palace Crescent is technically a different estate, it's still the same general area. That's why I recommended that the OP check the place out in person... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

what about weavers hall . Is this a good place to rent or around the market sq ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

what about weavers hall . Is this a good place to rent or around the market sq ?

Weavers hall is terrible. Apartments are nice but the building is full of junkies, drug dealers and prostitutes.

Nice apartments in Anville place on new street and there is an aparment complex on the battery but I cant recall the name.

somuj wrote: »
    Weavers hall is terrible. Apartments are nice but the building is full of junkies, drug dealers and prostitutes.

Nice apartments in Anville place on new street and there is an aparment complex on the battery but I cant recall the name.

The complex on the Battery Road is St Alban's. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭adocholiday

If you have a car consider somewhere like Silver Birches out by Stonepark. Lovely places to live outside of Longford that are only a short drive away. Much better than living in the town. Don't consider Weaver's Hall or indeed any of the apartment blocks around the Market Square. And completely avoid the apartments that are directly across the road from Supervalu. Absolute hell holes the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Does it have to be in Longford town? If you have access to a car would you not try somewhere outside the town, some of the villages and you would get a fully detached house for similar price to what houses in the housing estates in town would cost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭lau1247

And completely avoid the apartments that are directly across the road from Supervalu. Absolute hell holes the lot of them.

Do you mean Eden Court?

Serious question, why is it a hell hole?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭adocholiday

lau1247 wrote: »
    Do you mean Eden Court?

Serious question, why is it a hell hole?

I don't know if that's the name of the place but it is full of heroin junkies. And that's not just rumour or whatever; I grew up with some of them and know them personally. Wouldn't live in there if the rent was free!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

I don't know if that's the name of the place but it is full of heroin junkies. And that's not just rumour or whatever; I grew up with some of them and know them personally. Wouldn't live in there if the rent was free!

Its called Cuirt An Oir and is def full of junkies, degnerates and one of the biggest wholesale dealers in town plus lots of street dealers.

The place beside the cash and carry is Eden Court and is a nice most respectable place.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Misty Midlands

Hi.

I saw a house for sale in Viewmount Court, near Viewmount House (across the road from the golf course). Sherry Fitzgerald Longford are on the for sale board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Did OP buy ??? Still loads for sale in the area hé was looking

Advertisement