Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Kells like to live in?

Options
  • 24-07-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi

I am soon moving from dublin to kk..(am originally from tipp so its not that big a move). I have a young child and am looking at a place in kells kilkenny. Anyone know the area, is it a nice place to bring up children? What is local school like etc?

thanks
    Kit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

i used to lie in Kells. It's a very pleasant place with friendly enough people. There is a a great community spirit if you're into that kind of stuff and you have to be in order to get to know people. The local school is very good but very small so quite limited for making varied friends - although I believe that the younger classes now have a lot more children in them. School buses go to Callan and also Kilkenny but you'd need to get booking in order to secure a place on the Kilkenny route if that is what you wanted. Callan would be no problem because it's the catchment area and they have to find you a place (as far as I remember).

The lack of a bus service into town is a pain especially as children grow older and do after school activities or want to hang out in town. You could end up acting as taxi driver.

There's a good creche/after school facility in the village.

Kells is a bit of a bitch in the winter if you're commuting into town between floods and ice but people manage with the right kind of car. The roads there are dreadful for floods - every road out of the village is cursed with them and when the roads have de-iced everywhere else, Kells is still white with it. I'm not trying to put you off but telling you as it is so you can make like a good boy scout. :D

There's not much to do in Kells for kids - the Priory is great but supervision is needed. There's Scouts in the village but again you'd need to get his/her name down on the waiting list. There's lot of GAA in the surrounding villages but driving essential.

I'm not sure what else I can tell you. If you have any questions, ask. :)

There is also Squash/Handball but I don't know anything about it.

Advertisement