Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motorised valve and cylinder stat

Options
  • 24-07-2013 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

i have just installed a new insulated indirect copper cylinder.

I want to add a motorised valve and cylinder stat.

In the (outside) boiler house, there are 1" flow and return pipes to the cylinder.
    (The radiators are on a separate flow and return pipe circuit).

The boiler is controlled by a time clock in the kitchen.

What i have in mind is to attach the cylinder stat to the cylinder in the hot press upstairs
    and fit a 1" motorised valve and actuator to the flow pipe in the boiler house.

My question is : what type cable (number of wires) should i use to connect the
    the cylinder stat to the motorised valve?

(I'm not concerned at present to install any room stats etc for the radiators).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

why not just have the stat and motorised valve by the cylinder. then run standard cable back

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cloudwalker

thanks corkgsxr,

very good advice.

So, what I have in mind is :

1) fit motorised valve to 1" pipe in hot press (either from/going to boiler).
    wire motorised valve using standard twin and earth cable to elec. supply from
    time clock in boiler house.

2) connect cylinder stat and motorised valve with "special" cable (4 core ).

If above is correct, can you advise name/type of "special" cable?

regards,

Cloudrunner.

thanks corkgsxr,

very good advice.

So, what I have in mind is :

1) fit motorised valve to 1" pipe in hot press (either from/going to boiler).
    wire motorised valve using standard twin and earth cable to elec. supply from
    time clock in boiler house.

2) connect cylinder stat and motorised valve with "special" cable (4 core ).

If above is correct, can you advise name/type of "special" cable?

regards,

Cloudrunner.

Theres no special cable just depends on how many cores you need. But stat to mv is only live neutral and earth. Stat breaks the live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Theres no special cable just depends on how many cores you need. But stat to mv is only live neutral and earth. Stat breaks the live

Neutral, earth & 2 lives required.
    Live in & live out so it would need to be 4 core.
    It existing stat has only earth & live, live out then fit a digital battery operated stat. Battery replaces neutral so only earth & 2 lives are required.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Neutral, earth & 2 lives required.
    Live in & live out so it would need to be 4 core.
    It existing stat has only earth & live, live out then fit a digital battery operated stat. Battery replaces neutral so only earth & 2 lives are required.

i think we both might have it wrong.

its live in, live out and earth.

no need for neutral. its the apt timers that need the neutral to keep the clock going

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

i think we both might have it wrong.

its live in, live out and earth.

no need for neutral. its the apt timers that need the neutral to keep the clock going
    Wrong!
    If the stat has an anticipator, a neutral is required. If it does not have an anticipator, then there is an inaccuracy of circa 6C reaction/recovery time.
    That is why I said fit a battery operated one. The stat PCB calculates & compensates for the inticipator.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Wrong!
    If the stat has an anticipator, a neutral is required. If it does not have an anticipator, then there is an inaccuracy of circa 6C reaction/recovery time.
    That is why I said fit a battery operated one. The stat PCB calculates & compensates for the inticipator.

ok sorry i always just used that std type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Hi all,

i have just installed a new insulated indirect copper cylinder.

I want to add a motorised valve and cylinder stat.

In the (outside) boiler house, there are 1" flow and return pipes to the cylinder.
    (The radiators are on a separate flow and return pipe circuit).

The boiler is controlled by a time clock in the kitchen.

What i have in mind is to attach the cylinder stat to the cylinder in the hot press upstairs
    and fit a 1" motorised valve and actuator to the flow pipe in the boiler house.

My question is : what type cable (number of wires) should i use to connect the
    the cylinder stat to the motorised valve?

(I'm not concerned at present to install any room stats etc for the radiators).

Thanks.

If you have problems getting wires from A to B
    You should think about wireless control's / room stat.
    Heatmerchants or look up www.syxthsense.com for options.

scudo2 wrote: »
    If you have problems getting wires from A to B
    You should think about wireless control's / room stat.
    Heatmerchants or look up www.syxthsence.com for options.

Not a fan myself. Found them to be unreliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Not a fan myself. Found them to be unreliable

Never had any problems myself except having to reset/match/pair if batterys got to low. Wired system is better I would agree, but wireless is handy if you've no other option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement